- Fairfield County's Community Plates is hosting a Night to End Hunger in Stamford at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Loading Dock. The event features some of the area's newest restaurants. Check out ticket details here. But it'll cost ya: At least $150.
- A new small-business workshop series run by Fairfield County SCORE starts at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Darien Library and runs for a total of five Tuesday evenings. "All Small Business people are
welcome but content will be most relevant to those in business at least three
years," according to an event listing on Darien Patch. The Oct. 1 workshop is about "Assessing Your Business … How Well Does It Run?"
- "On Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. The United Church of Rowayton (210 Rowayton Avenue, Rowayton) invites high school seniors and parents to a free presentation, “Writing an Effective College Essay,” given by Soar For Success Director Bill Peltz. Students will learn what colleges look for and will be helped to find appropriate topics, as well as hear what should be avoided in essays. This idea-packed session helps reduce the stress associated with those dreaded essays." -- Norwalk Patch Facebook page
- Register now to take a free practice SAT/ACT test hosted by Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions on Saturday, Oct, 26. "Kaplan will proctor this simulated examination for students to learn what they can expect on the college admission tests. This three-and-a-half hour practice test will allow you to experience each ACT and SAT section, receive a detailed analysis of your performance and learn strategies to improve your scores. [...] Students must pre-register for the test online at kaptest.com/practice test or call 1-800-KAP-TEST. If questions, call the [Rowayton] Library at 203/838-5038. Space is limited. " -- from an announcement on the Rowayton Library website. Bring a No. 2 pencil.
- From the Darien YMCA newsletter: "Sign up for Adventure Guides and Princesses has started online or at the Front Desk. This Y program brings fathers and their children together in a variety of activities. Held during the course of the school year, fathers and children are organized into tribes for planning activities, fun, and more. 1st-4th grade children are welcome to join the program. Member rate: 1st child $70, 2nd child $40. Non-Member rate: 1st child $90, 2nd child $65. For more information, call April Greene at 655-8228 ext. 1309."
- From the Darien YMCA newsletter: "Winter Basketball registration starts Oct. 1: Winter sports registration is coming soon! Registration for Winter Basketball begins [Tuesday] Oct. 1 at 10 a.m. for members and Oct. 15 at 10 a.m. for non-members. For more information visit www.darienyhoops.org."