- "Shepherds, Inc. is a nondenominational nonprofit organization that opens the door of opportunity to disadvantaged inner city Connecticut youth with a quality college preparatory education at a non-public high school and the introduction of a positive role model -- a mentor -- who fills a void in their lives." The Shepherds Inc. Founder's Dinner Fundraiser takes place at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Woodway Country Club, 540 Hoyt St. The event "features Guest Speaker Mark Teixeira, first baseman - NY Yankees. Dave Price, five-time Emmy winner Weather and TV anchor will serve as master of ceremonies." -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- "When you are feeling down, it may seem like you are alone in your misery. The reality is, depressive disorders affect approximately 18.8 million American adults. However, due to stigma and other factors, fewer than half of those suffering actually seek help," according to the Screening for Mental Health website. Here are several spots where you can get a free, confidential mental health screening on Thursday, National Depression Screening Day (of course there's a national day for that): Darien Library noon to 2 p.m.; Norwalk Senior Center, 11 Allen Rd., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Wilton Senior Center, 180 School Rd., 11 to noon. Dial 2-1-1 or visit www.HealthyMindsCT.org for details.
- "Darien Sport Shop will be hosting a 'Sip ‘n Support' fundraising event for the YWCA Darien/Norwalk on Thursday, Oct. 10 at their store from 6 to 8 p.m. YW members will be invited to shop and receive a 10 percent discount on their purchases that evening with another 10 percent of proceeds going towards the YWCA Darien/Norwalk and its community outreach programs. The evening will feature wine and hors d’oeuvres served on the Darien Sport Shop main level. Guest will also enjoy live music during their shopping experience. This Darien Sport Shop event is for YWCA Darien/Norwalk members who are invited to bring a friend. YW members will be required to register in advance [...]" -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- "Dan Gravereaux [...] will be at Darien Rowayton Bank on Thursday Oct. 10 from 1 to 6 p.m. to sketch your home while you wait. Bring in a photo of your home and Dan will transform it into a thumbnail sketch in ink and watercolor [...] A 'Wine & Cheese Reception' will also be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Dan’s artwork will be on display at Darien Rowayton Bank at 1001 Post Road during the month of October." -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- What are your kids doing on Columbus Day this Monday? The Darien YMCA has an idea: "Come join us for a fun filled day on Monday, Oct. 14! Vacation Camp is available for 3 year olds through 5th Graders. Activities include: arts & crafts, swimming, outside play, gym, games and more.There will also be a field trip to Fun 4 Kids Arcade for kindergarten through 5th graders! For more information check out the flier." -- from the Darien YMCA newsletter
* * *
Traveling on I-95? Here are links to the Connnecticut Department of Transportation traffic cams, if you’re concerned about traffic: