- Thursday through Sunday: "Want to close out summer with a splash? Amphibious boat rides, meet & greets with Deadliest Catch captain Johnathan Hillstrand, paddlesports and interactive on-water activities are among the many unique attractions cruising into the 2013 Progressive Insurance Norwalk Boat Show. A favorite among boating and outdoor enthusiasts, the four-day event offers a wide array of events and experiences for visitors of all ages.
- Thursday is National Talk Like a Pirate Day and Jump It Up Norwalk has a pirate-themed event where children and their parents can do just that: "[Y]ou learn to walk, talk and swagger like a pirate. Then it’s off on our Quest where we follow the treasure map to find the hidden treasures like “glowing” gold coins, and the missing parrot. Next, you’ll practice your cannon ball throwing skills, play pirate games like peg leg, ship to shore, Pin the patch on the pirate, and even walk the plank." -- from an event listing on Norwalk Patch. Stamford's Barnes & Noble has its own festivities planned for youngsters.
- Playing a the Avon Theater in Stamford for one night only, 7:30 p.m. Thursday: "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet opens with a who's-who of French acting royalty [...] being summoned to the reading of a late playwright's last will and testament. There, the playwright [...] appears on a TV screen from beyond the grave and asks his erstwhile collaborators to evaluate a recording of an experimental theater company performing his Eurydice -- a play they themselves all appeared in over the years. But as the video unspools, instead of watching passively, these seasoned thespians begin acting out the text [...] [The movie is] an alternately wry and wistful valentine to actors and the art of performance from a director long fascinated by the intersection of life, theater and cinema." In French with English subtitles — 1 hr., 55 min. — trailer — IMDb — Rotten Tomatoes — New York Times review — New Yorker review
- Martha D. Peterson, author of The Widow Spy, will be the featured speaker at the latest "Meet the Author" event series at Darien Library at 7 p.m. Thursday. "The Widow Spy is the first hand account of a true Cold War spy
operation in Moscow, told exclusively by the CIA case offiicer who lived
this experience," according to this announcement on the Darien Library website. For more information on books, authors, literature and literary events in and around Darien, see the new "Books and Authors" category
on Darien Patch.
- Reminder: Kids eat free at Chuck's Steak House, 1340 Post Rd., Monday through Thursday in September.