Planet Pizza is open in Darien.
Update 4:54 p.m.:
Venture Yoga has cancelled all classes through the evening.
JoyRide is open tonight in Darien (closed in Westport).
Update 9:07 a.m.:
Helen Ainsen store is closed today.
Update 9:03 a.m.:
First Selectman Jayme Stevenson issued this statement, but not to Darien Patch. This was found on the Darien Police Facebook page:
Winter Storm Pax #1
For Immediate Release 7:30 am
Winter Storm Pax is here and predictions indicate that Darien should be prepared for 6-12” of total snow accumulation possible by mid-day Friday. Heavy snow is expected this morning changing to a mix by mid-afternoon. Precipitation will change back to snow before ending sometime on Friday. This storm will bring wind gusts of up to 40 mph causing drifting snow and the possibility of downed tree limbs and utility lines. Temperatures will be hovering right around freezing so as precipitation mixes with rain or freezing rain, roadways may be very dangerous.
Darien Public Schools and the Darien Town Hall will be closed today.
Residents are encouraged to stay off the roads if possible for their own safety and to let our plows work efficiently. The duration and intensity of this storm will require us to work continuously to open and widen the roads. Plowed snow on top of existing snow may make visibility around and over snow piles challenging particularly at intersections and in parking lots. Drive with extreme caution and watch for pedestrians who may be walking in roadways.
Businesses and homeowners with sidewalks may have snow repeatedly pushed onto sidewalks throughout the storm. Clearing sidewalks in a timely manner is critical for pedestrian safety. Plows cannot avoid pushing snow onto sidewalks. Please be careful shoveling heavy, wet snow.
Residents are asked to help clear snow from fire hydrants to assist our fire fighters save time in case of fire emergency.
We continue to monitor the impacts of this storm and have all public works and emergency personnel ready to respond.
Please use 911 only for emergencies. For all routine public safety inquiries call 203-662-5300.
First Selectman, Town of Darien
Update 8:56 a.m.:
Infinity Gym in Darien: The 9:30 a.m. class is cancelled. A Facebook post from Wednesday night: "We hope to get some sessions in later in the morning when the streets are cleaned up. If we are able to hold a session at 10:30 or around midday at either location then we will notify you first!"
JoyRide Cycling Studio: All morning classes are cancelled.
CST50 Darien: All classes Thursday are cancelled.
Anyone have any more cancellations in Darien, at gyms or elsewhere? Tell us in the comments!
Update 8:46 a.m.:
- The 9:45 a.m. class at Venture Yoga (check back with them about afternoon classes)
- Elements Yoga: "[T]he 10:15 class with Bernadette is cancelled today due to the weather. Stay tuned for an update on Rita's 12:30 class!"
- Flair Fitness: Everything Thursday is cancelled: "Sorry that we had to be closed today for safety's sake, Flair Friends! We miss you dearly! We can't wait to see your happy faces and sloshy boots cross our threshhold when we reopen. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Stay tuned and be warm!"
Update 8:37 a.m.:
The Little Gym in Darien will be closed today.
Update 8:26 a.m.:
Here's the Darien-specific forecast from the National Weather Service. It's got a potential foot of accumulated snow through Thursday night:
- Thursday: Snow before 11 a.m., then snow and sleet between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., then rain and snow after 1 p.m. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 33. Breezy, with a northeast wind 18 to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
- Thursday night: Rain and sleet before 10pm, then snow. Low around 28. Blustery, with a north wind 15 to 23 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New snow and sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. West wind 15 to 18 mph.
- Friday night: A chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent
- Saturday: A chance of snow before 3pm, then a slight chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. North wind 5 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent
- Saturday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 16.
- Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27.
- Sunday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 9.
- Monday, Washington's Birthday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29.
- Monday night: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent
- Tuesday: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent
- Tuesday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
Original article, Wednesday:
With about a foot of snow forecast to start falling overnight, Darien Public Schools is closing for Thursday and Metro-North is reducing its train service.
"All Darien schools and central office are closed for Thursday, Feb. 13," the district announced on its website Wednesday night.
The Darien YMCA will open on a delayed schedule, it announced on its website:
"Due to the impending snow storm, the Y will have a delayed opening at 12 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 13. Camp registration for non-members will be postponed to Friday, Feb. 14 beginning at 12 p.m. For the most current information contact the Y by phone or check here for updates."
The Darien Community Association announced on Facebook:
"Due to the forecasted storm and school closures by Darien Public Schools, the DCA will be closed tomorrow, Thursday, Feb. 13.
"The scheduled Valentine's Day Tea and Advanced Beginning Bridge class are cancelled."
Some other announced closings for Thursday:
- Person-to-Person is closing its Darien and Norwalk locations on Thursday.
Snow is expected to start around 3 a.m., and last for about 24 hours, according to the National Weather Service.