"Prolonged exposure to the bitter cold and wind could lead to frostbite and hypothermia," according to the Wind Chill Advisory.
The Wind Advisory says there could be gusts of up to 45 mph and driving may be difficult in strong winds. The good news is that winds are expected to diminish in the afternoon.
Yes, be careful to bundle up when you're out in the cold. You know that. There may be something you don't know in this list of links to Patch articles and information on dealing with the freezing, windy, hideous weather:
- Watch out for your elderly friends and relatives: "[S]hould an elderly person fall inside their home and not be able to get up, they can quickly succumb to hypothermia," the Wilton Ambulance Corps says on its blog. "The cooler temperature of the floor, as well as inactivity, will drop their body temperature." The same blog post also has information on how to prevent and what to do about frostbite and hypothermia.
- For cars, dry gas may help in the coldest weather [actually, since gasoline sold in this area already has ethanol in it, many say that you shouldn't add dry gas -- see the discussion in the comments section], and if your car battery seems weak, you might want to get it checked and possibly replaced, according to what Patch was told for this article.
- Don't let the pipes freeze in your house, if you can help it. Here are some tips. It's a bit late to follow the long-term tips now, but there are some immediate things you can do. Stamford Courthouse was damaged by some frozen pipes. Don't let it happen to you.
- And, ah, don't go kayaking in Long Island Sound. Resist the urge.
- Here are some driving tips for icy roads.
What's the weather going to be like in Darien? Glad you asked. Here's the National Weather Service's Darien-specific forecast (as of 10:56 a.m. Tuesday). Beware of wind chill factors through Wednesday night:
- Tuesday night: Clear, with a low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -12. Breezy, with a west wind 13 to 21 mph.
- Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 22. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind 10 to 13 mph.
- Wednesday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. West wind 6 to 10 mph.
- Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 32. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
- Thursday night: A slight chance of light snow after 1 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.
- Friday night: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Saturday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
- Saturday night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent
- Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 49.
- Sunday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35.
- Monday: A chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.