1. What's Cancelled, What's Open
(Know of any other cancellations? Want to tell the community that your business or organization is closed for the day or open for restricted hours? Tell us in the comments or email Darien@Patch.com.)
- The 9:30 a.m. meditation-for-beginners class taught by Julie Punishill at Darien Libraryis cancelled.
- Although the library is open all day.
- The Little Gym in Darien is open.
- Darien YMCA youth programs & preschool: (updated) "Holly Pond Nursery School & Kids Club are cancelled as well as morning youth programs in aquatics and gymnastics. All afternoon youth programs will be held as scheduled with the exception of Kids Club."
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk is open.
- Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk is open, the aquarium announced on Facebook.
These Darien Community Association scheduled classes have been cancelled for Tuesday:
2. Use Darien Library from home
Speaking of the library being open, Darien Library has some suggestions about services you can still use, even if you don't want to brave the snowy roads:
- Enjoy eBooks and digital audiobooks
- Relax with digital eMagazines or articles from MasterFILE Premier
- Watch TV shows and movies or listen to audiobooks and music through Hoopla
3. Uh, Hoopla? What's that?
Now, about that Hoopla thing. Here's a Darien Library announcement about it:
"Thousands of movies, television shows, music and audiobooks, are now available for mobile and online access through a new partnership with hoopla digital.
"Darien card holders can download the free hoopla digital mobile app on their Android or IOS device or visit hoopladigital.com to begin enjoying thousands of titles – from major Hollywood studios, record companies and publishers – available to borrow for instant streaming or temporary downloading to their smartphones, tablets, computers and Apple TV.
"Download 10 items of any combination each calendar month. Hoop to it!"
And now for the Darien weather report
The weather, according to the Darien-specific National Weather Service report:
- Tuesday: Snow, mainly before 4 p.m. High near 29. Northeast wind 10 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90 percent. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
- Tuesday night: A chance of snow, mainly before 7 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. North wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 38. Northwest wind 9 to 15 mph.
- Wednesday night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. West wind 9 to 13 mph.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. Southwest wind around 9 mph.
- Thursday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32.
- Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49.
- Friday night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 38. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
- Saturday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 48. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.
- Saturday night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 42. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
- Sunday: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
- Sunday night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
- Monday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.