Happy "Kick Butts Day." See the attached video for more on that.
Today is Wednesday, March 21, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Meet the Author - Kris D'Agostino: author of The Sleepy Hollow Family Almanac. 7 p.m., Darien Library. "In the spirit of Nick Hornby and Tom Perrotta comes a smart, funny debut [...] about a disillusioned young man whose fledgling leap from post-adolescence to adulthood lands him back in an already overburdened family nest."—from on Darien Patch
- "'I Don't Like Chardonnay' ... You Sure About That?" 7 p.m. Free. , 1053 Post Rd. "Let us change the way you think about this misunderstood grape."—from on Darien Patch
- Seniors: Lunch & "The Prince and the Showgirl": "On Wednesday, March 21, 2012, Darien Seniors are invited to celebrate the arrival of spring with a luncheon at Michael Joseph's beginning at 11:45 am and a movie matinee at the Darien Library starating at 1:30 pm." —from on Darien Patch. (This is the old movie that the recent film "My Week With Marilyn" is about, and not so coincidentally, that's what's showing at 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. on Friday.—that announcement.)
- Darien Library Spring Book Sale: Continues, with items half-price on Tuesday and Wednesday; dollar a bag on Thursday; ends at noon on Friday, March 23. "Looking to stuff your bookcases with new books, audiobooks, and DVDs this Spring? Then come to the Darien Library Spring Book Sale! Hardcover and softcover books, audiobooks, and DVDs are $1."—from the library announcement
- SATURDAY: Book Signing: 3 to 5 p.m., at ,"Maura Carley, President and CEO, Healthcare Navigation, LLC, will sign copies of her new book “Health Insurance: Navigating Traps & Gaps"—from the on Darien Patch
- REGISTER: Prenatal Yoga: 9:30 to 10:30 a.m., April 2, 9, 23, 30. Darien Library. "Certified yoga teacher Shelly Ransom will guide you safely through this gentle meditative series, helping you find peace, calm, and strength. Register for this program at this library Web page or by contacting the Children’s Library at email@example.com."—from the library announcement
- REGISTER: APRIL 2: TALK: "Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Lives of Boys": Free, 7 to 9 p.m., Monday, April 2, Darien High School Auditorium. "Michael Thompson, Ph.D. studies the risk factors that affect the lives of boys, from learning disorders to peer pressure. He will be presenting his findings and taking questions from parents, educators, and caregivers. Dr. Thompson is the author of several books on boys and childhood development and has appeared on The Today Show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, ABC’s 20/20, and CBS’ 60 Minutes."—from the library announcement—Thompson's website—REGISTER HERE (free)
- Toddler Tales: 10:30 to 11 a.m., Storytime Room, Darien Library. "Walkers up to 36 months and caregiver."—the library announcement
- IMAX Movies: Now showing in the Maritime Aquarium's IMAX theater in Norwalk: "Search for Great Sharks" at 1 and 3 p.m., and "Born to be Wild" at noon. Each lasts for about 40 minutes. More information here.
- Darien High School schedule: "E" Day. Periods: 2 | 3 | 4 | 6 | 1 | 7 | 8
- FREE SAT Math Prep Class: 2:30 - 4:00 in Room B110, Darien High School. "Sponsored by the National Honor Society. "This Prep Class will include 4 helpful math classes in which students will practice SAT Math questions and learn how to solve all the problems needed to do well on the SAT."—high school website
- NBC wants YOU: "NBC is looking for kids 14-17 who want to be on TV. NBC needs teens to help develop a potential show with a teen quiz theme. Applicants and parents might also be asked to speak on camera about teen issues. No professional actors, please. If interested, parents should email NBCTeenQuiz@gmail.com"—the on Darien Patch.
- Spring Homecoming "will be April 2-5 and includes the following activities: Monday: Breakfast in the Chill Zone at 7:00 a.m. Wednesday: Carnival in the Courtyard after school; admission is $5. Thursday: Field Day during all lunches."—high school website
- The Student Wear cart "will be in the cafeteria during all lunches on Wednesday, March 21st - stop buy and see what's for sale!"—high school website
- Be a Big Sister or Big Brother: "Attention Juniors—Are you interested in becoming a big brother or big sister to incoming freshmen or a transfer student? If so, please come to an informational meeting in the cafeteria during lunch on Tuesday March 20 or Wednesday March 21. Find out more about what it means to be a big brother or big sister and learn how to apply for next year."—Announcement on the Darien High School website
- Darien Depot March Calendar
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- John Carter: 7 p.m., PG-13 (2 hr. 19 min.)—IMDb—trailer—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Lorax: 7 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr. 26 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- Commission on Aging, 9 a.m., Room 119 (agenda)
- Darien Police Headquarters Building Committee, 3 p.m., Conference Room, Darien Library, 1441 Post Rd.
- Darien Police Commission, 5 p.m., Darien Police Department, 25 Hecker Ave.
- Park & Recreation Commission, 7:30 p.m., Room 119
- Zoning Board of Appeals, 7:45 p.m., Room 206 (agenda)
FORECAST as of 1:32 a.m. Tuesday (update)
- Wednesday: "Areas of drizzle before 10am. Areas of dense fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 66. North wind at 6 mph becoming south."
- Wednesday Night: "Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. South wind around 5 mph."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
TIDES & TIMES
- Sunrise: 6:54 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:07 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:53 a.m. (-0.2')
- High tide: 11:31 a.m. (7.3')
- Low tide: 5:48 p.m. (-0.1')
- High tide: 11:48 p.m. (7.8')
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).