DARIEN LIBRARY ANNOUNCEMENT—FRIDAY NIGHTS:
"Starting Friday, March 23, our entire Main Street area and the Children's Library will be open with limited services until 8 p.m. for Children's and 9 p.m. for Main Street. Patrons can find and check out books, DVDs, games and Books on CD on Main Street, and the Children’s Library will be available for books, DVDs and other resources.
"And we will be hosting double screenings of all our Friday Night Feature films. One screening will begin at 6:30 p.m. and a second at 8:30 p.m. Finally, Uncle's Cafe will stay open until 9 p.m. so you can fill up with snacks for the movies, or for hanging out – by the fireplace if it’s cold, and in the courtyard when it’s warm outside. And don’t forget our killer wireless."—from the library announcement
Today is Friday, March 23, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Darien Library Spring Book Sale: Continues, with items a dollar a bag; ends at noon. "Looking to stuff your bookcases with new books, audiobooks, and DVDs this Spring? Then come to the Darien Library Spring Book Sale! Hardcover and softcover books, audiobooks, and DVDs are $1."—from the library announcement
- FILM: "An Affair to Remember": (1957), 2 p.m., —Wikipedia—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- FILM: "My Week with Marilyn": 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Darien Library (2011) Starring Michelle Williams, Kenneth Branaugh, and Eddie Redmayne; Rated R; (99 minutes)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- PLAY: "Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean": 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Darien Arts Center. $25 for adults; $20 for seniors and students. "In a small town dime store in West Texas, the "Disciples of James Dean" gather for their twentieth reunion. Now middle-aged women, they were teenagers when Dean filmed Giant two decades ago in nearby Marfa. One of them, an extra in the film, has a child whom she says was conceived with Dean during the shoot."—from the on Darien Patch
- SATURDAY: Book Signing: 3 to 5 p.m., at ,"Maura Carley, President and CEO, Healthcare Navigation, LLC, will sign copies of her new book “Health Insurance: Navigating Traps & Gaps"—from the on Darien Patch
- SATURDAY: St. Thomas More Church tag sale: 9 a.m. "Early Bird Entry is at 8 a.m. with a $10 donation with numbers being handed out at 7:30 a.m. Children’s clothes, furniture, toys, baby and sports equipment will be for sale with the proceeds benefitting the Norwalk Emergency Shelter, Malta House and Saint Thomas More."—from on Darien Patch
- Preschool Time: 9:30 to 10 a.m. Storytime Room, Darien Library. "Storytime for preschoolers ages 3 to 5. Includes stories, songs, and act-outs."—library announcement
- We've Got Game: 4:15 to 5:45 p.m., Darien Library. "Come into the Children's Library for an afternoon of gaming. Ages 7 to 12."—library announcement
- Darien High School schedule: "G" Day. Periods: 4 | 1 | 2 | 8 | 3 | 5 | 6
- : 8 p.m. tonight and 8 p.m. Saturday night, Darien High School auditorium. Theatre 308 (tickets available as early as one hour before showtime at the door; or seat yourself online)
- Final day: Freshman Class T-Shirt Contest: Today is the last day to submit a design. "For more information see Ms. Launer, Ms. D'Agostino or any of the Class of 2015 representatives."—Darien High School website
- "Interested in being a part of the DHS-China Exchange next year? Applications are now available. Submit completed applications by April 4th. Contact Mrs. Armiger with questions."—Darien High School website
- Darien Depot March Calendar
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- The Lorax: 7 and 9 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr. 26 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Hunger Games: 4, 7 and 10 p.m., PG-13 (2 hr. 22 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
FORECAST as of 1:18 a.m. Thursday (update)
- Friday: "Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a high near 67. East wind between 6 and 11 mph."
- Friday Night: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. Light northwest wind."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
TIDES & TIMES
- Sunrise: 6:51 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:09 p.m.
- High tide: 12:25 a.m. (7.8')
- Low tide: 6:52 a.m. (-0.3')
- High tide: 12:51 a.m. (7.2')
- Low tide: 7:01 a.m. (0.1')
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).