Today is Wedesday, April 11, 2012.
Today's lead pictures come from ""
Parent Film Series: "Race to Nowhere": PG-13 (1 hr. 25 mins.), 2009. 10 a.m. Community Room, Darien Library. "'Race to Nowhere' points to the silent epidemic in our schools: cheating has become commonplace; students are disengaged; stress-related illness and depression are rampant; and many young people arrive at college and the workplace unprepared and uninspired."—from the library's announcement—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Film: "Crossing Delancey": 1:30 p.m. Community Room, Darien Library. "Amy Irving stars in this high-spirited contemporary comedy about a single Manhattan woman, Isabelle “Izzy” Grossman, who is hurled into a romantic adventure when her grandmother hires a matchmaker to help Izzy find a husband. Starring Amy Irving and Peter Reigert; Rated PG; 97 minutes (1988)."—library announcement—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- Reserve a seat: Beds & Borders talk on gardening: "Heather Stephenson, head of product development at Beds & Borders, national leaders in container gardens, will be holding a talk at Nielsen's Florist on Sunday, April 15 at 1 p.m. She will be discussing cold weather plantings and how to combine, annuals, bulbs and perennials to create beautiful containers. You'll also learn how to select plants with a variety of colors and textures [...]"—from on Darien Patch
- NORWALK: Maritime Aquarium Open House for Educators: Free. "Educators can enjoy a special free evening with The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk all to themselves on Wed., April 11, as they preview the Aquarium’s educational programs, its “FINtastic RefurbFISHment” and new IMAX movie."—from on Darien Patch
- Donation Drive: Gently used blankets and towels for pets: All day at The Hairy Barker Inn & Spa, 21 Tokeneke Rd. The store "is collecting GENTLY USED towels and blankets for BLANKETS AND BOWLS. These are among the most asked for items at shelters. Blankets and Bowls will distribute these items to any shelter in need."—the on Darien Patch.
- Parent Film Series: "Race to Nowhere": Free. PG-13 (1 hr. 25 mins.), 2009. 10 a.m. Community Room, Darien Library. "'Race to Nowhere' points to the silent epidemic in our schools: cheating has become commonplace; students are disengaged; stress-related illness and depression are rampant; and many young people arrive at college and the workplace unprepared and uninspired."—from the library's announcement—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- Toddler Tales: 10:30 to 11 a.m. Storytime Room, Darien Library. "Walkers up to 36 months and caregiver."—library announcement.
- IMAX movies at the Maritime Aquarium: 10 North Water St., Norwalk. Sea Rex (11 a.m., 2 p.m.), Born to be Wild (noon), Search for the Great Sharks (1 and 3 p.m.)—from an aquarium Web page
- Meerkats exhibit at the Maritime Aquarium: "These are active animals with very charismatic faces and highly interesting social structures, so they are a lot of fun for visitors to watch.”—Jack Schneider, the Aquarium’s curator of animals, quoted on this aquarium Web page.
- Schedule: "B" Day. Periods: 3 | 4 | 1 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 5
- Direct a one act play: "Anyone interested in directing a Student One-Act Production must submit two copies of their form and script to Mr. Speiser or Ms. Herman by Friday."—announcement, Darien High School website.
- Don't ask her from a ladder truck. It's been done: "The Junior-Senior Prom will be held Friday, May 18th at the Greenwich Hyatt. Admission to the prom may be purchased Monday, April 23 through Monday, May 7th. Admission purchased after that time will incur a late fee. Complete information and permission forms will be mailed to junior and senior homes during break week. Questions? See Mrs. Ricci in the Main Office."—Darien High School website
- Voter Registration Drive: Don't let them get elected without asking for your vote. "Wednesday in the cafeteria. See plasmas for details."—announcement, Darien High School website
- Recycle your sneakers: "The Ecocitizens Club and The Darien Environmental Group are collecting old sneakers to make “Nike-grind” – a recycled, sustainable surface for athletic surfaces and playgrounds. Please bring in your old sneakers (no cleats!) and deposit them in the box in the front lobby during April and May."—announcement, Darien High School website
- CAS Bandjam Comes to Darien High School "The deadline for the submission of registration materials is Friday, April 13, 2012."— on Darien Patch.
- Depot April Calendar
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
Why are there matinees on a Monday? Probably because Darien public schools are closed for a "staff development" day.
- Mirror, Mirror: 7 p.m., PG (1 hr., 46 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Hunger Games: 7 p.m., PG-13 (2 hrs., 22 mins.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- Park & Rec Commission, 7:30 p.m., Room 119B
- Weed Beach Building Committee, 7:30 p.m., Room 119A
FORECAST as of 1:20 a.m. Tuesday (update)
- Wednesday: "A chance of showers, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Wednesday Night: "A chance of showers, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. North wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
TIDES & TIMES
- Sunrise: 6:21 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:29 p.m.
- High tide: 2:31 a.m. (8.6')
- Low tide: 9:09 a.m. (-1.8')
- High tide: 3:08 p.m. (7.6')
- Low tide: 9:24 p.m. (-0.1)
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).