The new "is named the Captain David Hawley Society. In the early years of the war, the Captain sailed to the West Indies for a cargo of gunpowder for Stratford and Fairfield.
"All went well. He returned safely and part of the powder was stored in the Nichols Tavern on North Avenue (modern Bridgeport, but referred to as Stratfield at that time)." To see what happened next, .
Today is Tuesday, April 24, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Meet the Author I —Anne-Marie Sutton: $15 for the public, free to DCA book group members, 10:30 a.m., Darien Community Association. In "her second novel of the Newport Mystery Series, Gilded Death, [...] The gala June engagement party of Imogen Revel in the ballroom of Mon Plaisir, her family's Newport mansion, is tragically interrupted by the death of her fiance, Hugh, after drinking from a glass of poisoned burgundy."—from on Darien Patch
- Meet the Author II —Cristina Alger: author of the novel Darlings, 7 p.m., Darien Library. "Howary LLP, the storied Wall Street law firm where Paul Ross has worked as an attorney for seven years, has imploded after the managing partner is indicted. When Paul loses his job, his father-in-law Carter Darling, billionaire financier, offers him the chance to head the legal team at his hedge fund. [...] But Paul’s luck is about to shift [...]"—from on Darien Patch
- Meet the Author III —Carol Anshaw: 7 p.m., Free, refreshments available. Call 203-655-2712 to reserve a seat. Barrett Bookstore. Talk, Q&A, book signing. "Top Indie-Next author Carol Anshaw will discuss her novel, Carry the One, at Barrett Bookstore. In the New York Times, Michiko Kakutani said "Carol Anshaw’s beautifully observed new novel, “Carry the One,” begins with a terrible accident in the summer of 1983 [...]"
- WEDNESDAY Matinee—"The Titanic": 1:30 p.m., Darien Library. -- TITANIC (1997) Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, and Billy Zane; Rated PG-13 (3 hrs., 14 mins.)—library announcement—
- Buy tickets for the Library Spring Gala: $130. Saturday, May 12, at 6:30 p.m. "Join us at Light Up the Library at the Imagination Gala! We will have cocktails, Hors D'oeuvres, entertainment, silent art auction and a live auction. Funds that are raised will be used for Library materials (all books, movies, computers, magazines, books on cd, information resources, and programs are paid for by private donations)."—library announcement
- THURSDAY: "Power of Parents: It's Your Influence": 11 a.m. Darien Library Community Room. "MADD has created a powerful new parent's initiative to give parents the tools and skills to speak to their children about underage drinking at home and safe teen driving. This presentation helps to facilitate open dialog between parents and children."—from the library announcement.
- Eagle Hill-Southport School Open House: 9 to 10:30 a.m., 214 Main St., Southport. "These admissions presentations, led by the Headmaster, allow prospective parents to learn about the school's philosophy, tour the school, and meet with the Director of Admissions. An RSVP to Carolyn Lavender, Director of Admissions, at (203) 254-2044 is required."—from on Darien Patch
- at the Darien Nature Center
- Toddler Tales: 10:30 to 11 a.m. Storytime Room, Darien Library. "Walkers up to 36 months and caregiver."—library announcement.
- Sleepytime: 6 to 6:30 p.m., Storytime Room, Darien Library. "2 to 6-year-olds family storytime.—library announcement.
- IMAX movies at the Maritime Aquarium: 10 North Water St., Norwalk. Sea Rex (11 a.m., 2 p.m.), Born to be Wild (noon), Search for the Great Sharks (1 and 3 p.m.)—from an aquarium Web page
- Darien High School schedule: "F" Day periods: 3 | 4 | 1 | 7 | 2 | 8 | 5
- 8 a.m. Workshop for all Sophomores: "The Guidance Department is hosting a mandatory workshop for all sophomores on Tuesday, April 24th at 8am."—see DHS website for details
- 8 a.m.: "Students who plan on taking an AP exam this year must report to the cafeteria a 8:00 am on Tuesday, April 24th for a Pre-administration activity. Please contact Mr. Ribeiro if you have any questions."—DHS website announcement
- Ask her. Now: "The Junior-Senior Prom will be held Friday, May 18th at the Greenwich Hyatt. Admission to the prom may be purchased Monday, April 23 through Monday, May 7th. Admission purchased after that time will incur a late fee. Complete information and permission forms will be mailed to junior and senior homes during break week. Questions? See Mrs. Ricci in the Main Office." No, not later. Now. Do it.—DHS website announcement
- Summer of the Monkeys movie: 3 p.m., Darien Library—library announcement—IMDb—Rotten Tomatoes
- "Trashless Tuesday" is April 24 during Earth Week. "There will be a 'Swap, don’t Shop' event in the vending area of the café. Staff and students are invited to bring in a gently used item – and take home a new treasure! Anything that can be carried out by hand is welcome. For more information, see Katie Maccarone or Felicia Knise."—Darien High School announcement
- WEDNESDAY: Earth Week activities at Darien High School: "Period 2 & 8 Alliance for Climate Education multimedia presentation in auditorium, Period 3 Nature Center's Nina Miller and friends (furry, etc.) in the cafeteria, Period 6 Dr. Sarah Miller, alumna of Center for Green Chemistry at Yale – Presentation in auditorium"—Darien High School announcement
- WEDNESDAY: The ABCs of Writing a Great College Application Essay: 7 p.m., Darien Library. "What do colleges want in an application essay? How should students begin the writing process? What's a good topic? A bad topic? How can students make their essays unique and memorable?"—library announcement
- Depot April Calendar
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- The Three Stooges: 7:30 and 9:30 p.m., PG (1 hr., 46 min.)—IMDb—trailer—even stupider trailer—something else—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Lucky One: 7 and 9:15 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr., 41 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- BOE [Board of Education] Central Office/Mather Community Center Building Committee (that is, the "Shuffle Board"), noon, Room 206
- Darien Housing Authority, 7:30 p.m., Room B1
- Board of Education, 7:30 p.m., Board of Education Meeting Room, Darien Public Schools offices, Town Hall
- Planning & Zoning Commission, 8 p.m., Room 206
- Architectural Review Board, 8 p.m., Room 213
FORECAST as of 1:23 a.m. Tuesday (update)
- Tuesday: "Scattered showers, mainly after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 61. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 16 and 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Tuesday Night: "Isolated showers before 1am, then isolated showers after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41. West wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
TIDES & TIMES
- Sunrise: 6:00 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:44 p.m.
- High tide: 1:46 a.m. (7.6')
- Low tide: 8:18 p.m. (0.1')
- High tide: 2:21 p.m. (6.9')
- Low tide: 8:24 a.m. (0.8')
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).