Darien Library's Reference Room will be closed Saturday, May 12 "as we prepare for the Imagination Gala. Funds raised at the fourth annual Gala will be used to purchase Library materials which are paid for by private donations."—Darien Library announcement.
Today is Friday, May 4, 2012.
News & opinion:
("Beyond Darien" feature)
("You Said It" feature)
(we have no indication she's changed her mind, despite the Darien Patch debate)
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- : $250. 7:30 p.m. Country Club of Darien. Part of the "
- Movie Classics at the DCA: "Camelot": Free. 2 to 4 p.m.— on Darien Patch
- Friday Night Feature: "The Descendants": 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Rated: R. (1 hr., 55 min.) Community Room, Darien Library. Academy Award Winner, Best Adapted Screenplay. "Matt King is an indifferent husband and father of two girls, who is forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off Waikiki."—from the library announcement—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- SUNDAY: : 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Scout Cabin, 140 West Ave.
- Darien Artist Featured in Bridgeport Exhibit: Cate Leach is one of two artists whose works are displayed now through June 28 in the exhibit at at ArtPlace Gallery @ The Watermark, in Bridgeport, just over the Bridgeport-Fairfield line. "Ms. Leach’s exhibit, titled “Ruminations,” was inspired by her love of lines and resolution."—from on Darien Patch
- Crazy for Quilts ~ Scrapbooks in Silk and Satin: "Elegant, silk crazy quilts from the collection of the Darien Historical Society."—from on Darien Patch
- Darien 4th of July Fireworks t-shirt contest: "Submit your artwork and the winner’s designs will serve as Darien’s official 4th of July Fireworks T-shirt! Hurry soon and fill out the information below, the contest will close May 15."—from on Darien Patch
- YWCA Darien/Norwalk Women of Distinction Awards & Luncheon: 11:30 a.m., Thursday, May 10. Tickets are now on sale. See the YWCA website for details.
- DHSPA meeting: "Please join us for our next DHSPA meeting on Tuesday May 8th in the DHS auditorium. Coffee will be served at 9am, meeting will begin promptly at 9:15am. Following important end of year news and updates, we are pleased to bring you a presentation by the Thriving Youth Connected Community"
- Methodist Family Center Preschool Camp: "MFCP is offering camp for preschool children starting May 29 and ending June 29"—from on Darien Patch
- New Methodist Family Center Preschool program for 4-year-olds: "MFCP is offering the new Navigators program to students enrolled in the four-year-old classes this fall."—from on Darien Patch.
- YWCA Toddler Time and Summer Fun Registration for 2012-2013
- at the Darien Nature Center
- Drop In: We've Got Game: 5:15 to 6:45 p.m. Darien Library. "Come into the Children's Library for an afternoon of gaming. Ages 7 to 12."—from the library announcement
- SATURDAY: 20th Annual Tilley Pond Model Boat Regatta: Noon. . "Boat kits are available for sale for $10 each in the Youth Commission office during normal business hours or the day of the event starting at 11:30 a.m. at Tilley Pond Park." The event "includes musical entertainment ("Stealing Free Samples" sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Darien), face painting by the Depot teenagers, a clown & balloons (sponsored by the Parks & Rec Department), Kiwanis raffle, Uncle's Deli famous hot dog cart and more! Registration is $3.00 per entry starting at noon.—from on Darien Patch
- Darien High School schedule: "F" Day. Order of periods: 3 | 4 | 1 | 7 | 2 | 8 | 5
- 7:30 p.m., Daren High School. "Performances will include those by the new all-girl A-Capella group Coda, the jazz combo, and pop strings with guest vocalists McKinley Stauffer and Olivia Piazza, among others."—announcement on the high school website
- Darien Depot: May Calendar
- Junior-Senior Prom will be held Friday, May 18th at the Greenwich Hyatt. Admission to the prom may be purchased Monday, April 23 through Monday, May 7. Admission purchased after that time will incur a late fee. Complete information and permission forms will be mailed to junior and senior homes during break week. Questions? See Mrs. Ricci in the Main Office.
- Seniors: Get your head shots to Neirad: "[T]he Neirad staff invites you to send a photograph of yourself (headshot) to email@example.com by TODAY for the Neirad graduation issue!! Include in the subject of the email your full name and plans for next year."—announcement on the Darien High School website
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Marvel's The Avengers:7 and 9:45 p.m.PG-13 (2 hrs. 22 min.). "Dr. Banner, your work is unparalleled, and I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster." "Thanks."—IMDb—trailer—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Lucky One: 9:45 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr., 41 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- Budget Committee of the Board of Education, 8:30 a.m., Board Meeting Room, Darien Public Schools offices, Town Hall (PDF of agenda)
FORECAST as of 10:11 p.m. Thursday (update)
- Friday: "Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Areas of fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent."
- Friday Night: "A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 56. North wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."
- Tide information
DARIEN GOVERNMENT ACCESS TELEVISION - TV79
Airing this week…
- Board of Selectmen 4-24 ( runs 1:06 ) AGENDA
- Airs: 2:07 AM, 8:15 AM, 2:22 PM & Prime Time
- RTM Rules Comm. 4-24 (runs :55 ) AGENDA
- Airs: 4:04 AM, 10:12 AM & Prime Time
- Planning & Zoning Comm. 4-24 ( runs 3:15 ) AGENDA
- Airs 5 AM, 11:07 AM, 4 PM, 10:52 PM
- Darien Housing Authority 4-24 ( runs :30 ) AGENDA
- Airs 3:34 AM, 9:42 AM, 3:28 PM, 7:15 PM & PT
- Bd of Ed / Mather / Shuffle 4-24 ( runs :21 )
- Airs 3:13 AM, 9:21 AM & Prime Time
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service.