Today is Wednesday, May 9, 2012.
News & opinion:
EVENTS & REMINDERS
Women Of Distinction Luncheon
- Thursday Night Community Supper at St. Luke`s Church: 5 to 7 p.m. "This week's menu: London Broil, pasta salad, mixed vegetables, plain pasta, green and fruit salads, artisan breads delicious deserts. All for $1. All are welcome."—the announcement on Darien Patch
- REGISTER: Darien's Got Talent competition: "Do you think you can dance like Jennifer Lopez, sing like Christina Aguilera, or play a musical instrument better than Yo Yo Ma or Jimmy Hendrix? [...] If the above describes you, and you are between the ages of 10 and 100, then start preparing for some awesome auditions [...]"—from on Darien Patch
- Crazy for Quilts ~ Scrapbooks in Silk and Satin: "Elegant, silk crazy quilts from the collection of the Darien Historical Society."—from on Darien Patch
- Darien 4th of July Fireworks t-shirt contest: "Submit your artwork and the winner’s designs will serve as Darien’s official 4th of July Fireworks T-shirt! Hurry soon and fill out the information below, the contest will close May 15."—from on Darien Patch
- YWCA Darien/Norwalk Women of Distinction Awards & Luncheon: 11:30 a.m., Thursday, May 10. Tickets are now on sale. See the YWCA website for details.
- Raising Financially Aware Kids: 6 to 8 p.m. Scena Wine Bar & Restaurant. 1077 Post Rd. "Raising financial awareness to children and grandchildren by focusing on pratical and useful ways to teach children about money."—from on Darien Patch
- Register: Explaining the Birds & the Bees: 6:30 p.m.Wednesday, May 9 at 6:30 p.m. or Thursday, May 17 at 9:30 a.m. "When should parents begin explaining reproduction, puberty, and sexual health to children? How can parents do so in a way that is informational yet developmentally appropriate? Amanda and Ed will help moms and dads prepare to have a frank discussion on "the birds and the bees" with their child. Please register online."—library announcement and registration form
- Methodist Family Center Preschool Camp: "MFCP is offering camp for preschool children starting May 29 and ending June 29"—from on Darien Patch
- New Methodist Family Center Preschool program for 4-year-olds: "MFCP is offering the new Navigators program to students enrolled in the four-year-old classes this fall."—from on Darien Patch.
- YWCA Toddler Time and Summer Fun Registration for 2012-2013
- at the Darien Nature Center
- Darien High School schedule: "A" Day. Order of periods: 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
- DHS Cheerleading Tryouts!
- Pet food, etc. collection: "It’s 'Be Kind to Animals' week! DAWG [Darien Animal Welfare Group] will be collecting unopened dog and cat food, treats, toys, and paper towels from May 8-18. The collection box is near the office, and all donations will go to the Humane Society of Connecticut."—Darien High School announcement
- Mother's Day is this coming Sunday: "The Annual Garden Club Mother's Day Plant Sale will take place in the Cafeteria during lunch on May 9th, 10th, and 11th. The plants, which range from $1.00 - $3.00, make great Mother's Day Gifts!"—Darien High School announcement
- DLtean now on Tumblr: "DLteen is now on tumblr. Follow us at: http://dlteen.tumblr.com We are following all sorts of cool music, art, technology, fashion, comics, news, science, books, and other teen stuff. Check it out now!"—from the library announcement
- Darien Depot: May Calendar
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Marvel's The Avengers: 7 p.m.PG-13 (2 hrs. 22 min.). "Dr. Banner, your work is unparalleled, and I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster." "Thanks."—IMDb—trailer—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Lucky One: 7 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr., 41 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
FORECAST as of 11:57 p.m. Tuesday (update)
- Wednesday: "Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. Patchy fog before 11am. High near 68. South wind between 7 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."
- Wednesday Night: "Showers likely before 9 p.m., then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., then scattered showers and thunderstorms after 5am. Cloudy, with a low around 57. West wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms."
- Tide information
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
DARIEN GOVERNMENT ACCESS TELEVISION - TV79
Airing this week…
- Police Commission 5/2 (runs :27)
- Airs: 4:27 Am, 3:05 PM, 7:23 PM, 8:00 PM
- Zoning Board of Appeals 4/25 (runs 1:59)
- Airs: 10:55 AM, 12:40 AM
- Board of Education 4/24 (runs 1:48)
- Airs 2:39 AM< 9:07 AM, 5:35 PM
- RTM - Finance & Budget 4/23 (runs 2:11)
- Airs 6:56 AM, 12:54 PM, 8:27 PM
- RTM – Education Comm. 4/30 (runs 2:02)
- Airs 4:54 AM, 3:32 PM, 10:38 PM
Planned coverage in the week ahead: (live coverage pre-empts schedule above)
Monday 7:45 pm Board of Selectmen live
7:30 pm RTM – Finance & Budget taped
Tuesday 12 Noon Bd of Ed / Mather / “Shuffle” live
Wednesday 10:00 am SWRPA taped
7:30 pm RTM – Public Health & Safety live
7:30 pm Weed Beach Bldg Comm. taped
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service.