Darien Library's new Digital Media Lab opens: "On Friday, June 15th, we are opening our Digital Media Lab (DML)! The DML's purpose is to give the Darien community access to high quality equipment for their digital projects. The room and equipment is reserved for special projects instead of general computing which is available in the Power Library. The lab was made possible thanks to the Friends of the Library and a reverse auction held at this spring's Imagination Gala."—from the library announcement
Today is Friday, June 15, 2012.
(Paul Devlin's SportsBeat column)
EVENTS & REMINDERS
Adults & Family:
- Carver Foundation 11th Annual Child of America Gala: 6 p.m. Wee Burn Country Club. Selectman David Campbell and others will be honored. "Some 300 friends from across Lower Fairfield County come together each year to enjoy a spectacular evening at Darien’s Wee Burn Country Club. Guests give record-breaking contributions to celebrate the greatly expanding work of the Carver Foundation of Norwalk."— on Darien Patch
- Friday Night Wine Down: 5 p.m. Nicholas Roberts Fine Wines. "Every Friday we feature items that we feel are worth sharing. Stop in and grab a taste. We usually pick three of four wines, but sometimes we change things up ... tequila, rum, bourbon. It's always a good time."— on Darien Patch
- MOVIE: Friday Night Feature: "One for the Money": 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. Community Room, Darien Library.—library announcement
- Cirque du Soliel: Dralion: $35. 7:30 p.m. Webster Arena, Bridgeport. "Bearing the unmistakable signature of Cirque du Soleil and featuring 50 international acrobats, gymnasts, musicians and singers, Dralion soars to new heights as it defies the laws of nature." Through June 17—from on Darien Patch
- WESTPORT: Play: "Company": $25. 8 p.m., , "[M]usic and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, book by George Furth [...] On his 35th birthday, confirmed bachelor Robert contemplates his unmarried state. He seems to have everything: good looks, charm, and a great sense of humor – and nevertheless, he is still single. [...] Winner of six Tony Awards (including “Best Musical”) when it premiered on Broadway in 1970"—from on Darien Patch
- SATURDAY: Amateur Radio at Darien Library: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Courtyard, Darien Library. "Almost everything you ever wanted to know about amateur radio but were afraid to ask! Get a “taste” for amateur radio at the Library. The Greater Norwalk Amateur Radio Club (GNARC) will be demonstrating amateur radio to all attendees. Come get on the air. You could find yourself communicating with someone in Florida, California, Colorado, Washington, or even overseas during this fun family-friendly program."—from the library announcement
- Paul Lipp: The Real Beauty of New England: June exhibit at the Geary Gallery. "[F]eaturing the detailed oils of Old Lyme, CT resident, Paul Lipp. The exhibit runs from June 1 to June 30. Open Wednesdays - Saturdays, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm. 576 Boston Post Road"—from on Darien Patch.
- Crazy for Quilts ~ Scrapbooks in Silk and Satin: "Elegant, silk crazy quilts from the collection of the Darien Historical Society."—from on Darien Patch
- Rubber Ducky Regatta: 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Courtyard (or Children's library if the weather turns bad) Darien Library. "Kick-off Summer Reading out in the Library's courtyard! Kids who sign up for the Read-to-Me Club will receive a special rubber ducky. The ducks can then take a dip in the Brenda and Mark Thompson Fountain. Additional crafts and activities will make everyone go quackers with excitement! For ages 2 to 7"—from the library announcement
- Kids Summer Reading 2012: "Welcome to summer! June 11 will be the first day that kids can sign up to participate in our Summer Reading Clubs or register for special Summer Reading programs. After registering online, kids can come in to the Library to pick up their Captain's Log to track their reading. Stay tuned for more details!"—from the Darien Library announcement
- Virtual Teen Art Show: "All summer long, you can submit your artwork to share with teens from around New England. What makes this opportunity so unique is that you'll be able to check out what teens your age are inspired by and vice versa. So whatever medium you prefer--painting, sculpture, photography, charcoal, comic strips--start thinking about what you'd like to display on our virtual art gallery!"—from the Darien Library announcement
- Teen Summer Reading 2012: "Come to the Teen Lounge to get your copy of the Teen Summer Reading Program for 2012! We've got tons of special events this year that you won't want to miss. There are so many we couldn't fit them all here so make sure to get a copy of the program to see all the awesome details."—from the Darien Library announcement
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: 7 p.m. PG , (1 hr., 25 mins.)—IMDb—trailer—another trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- Snow White and the Huntsman: 7:30 and 9:45 p.m. PG-13 , (2 hrs., 7 mins.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
FORECAST as of 1:01 a.m. Friday (update)
- Friday: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. North wind 6 to 8 mph becoming east."
- Friday Night: "Mostly clear, with a low around 55. Southeast wind between 6 and 9 mph becoming calm."
- Tide information
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service.