Today is Monday, June 18, 2012.
A Roundup of Darien Patch graduation-related articles:
Patch/James Patterson summer reading lists:
EVENTS & REMINDERS
Adults & Family:
- Adult Summer Reading: June 6 to Aug. 28. Darien Library: "To enter our weekly and Grand Prize drawings, all you have to do is READ. Each review of a book, audio book, or eBook counts as a prize entry. To submit reviews, visit Darien Library’s Welcome Desk to pick up and fill out a Review/Prize Entry Card. You can also write your review online at darienlibrary.org. If you review your books online, you still need to fill out a Prize Entry Card at the Library with your name, email address, and the date and title of your online review in order to enter our drawings."—library announcement
- TUESDAY: eBook Wake up: 10 to 11 a.m. Darien Library. "Meet our resident eBook expert on Main Street to find out how to download eBooks from the Library straight to your Kindle, iPad, nook, or other device. We'll tell you about those funny looking 3M machines on Main Street and get you reading on your iPhone or Android."—library announcement
- TUESDAY: Short Story Reading: 3 p.m. Darien Library Conference Room. "Our proram [...] will continue every Tuesday (excluding July 3) through August 21. The first story is “A Rose for Emily” by William Faulkner. Copies are available at the Welcome Desk."—from the library announcement
- Paul Lipp: The Real Beauty of New England: June exhibit at the Geary Gallery. "[F]eaturing the detailed oils of Old Lyme, CT resident, Paul Lipp. The exhibit runs from June 1 to June 30. Open Wednesdays - Saturdays, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm. 576 Boston Post Road"—from on Darien Patch.
- Crazy for Quilts ~ Scrapbooks in Silk and Satin: "Elegant, silk crazy quilts from the collection of the Darien Historical Society."—from on Darien Patch
- All Ages Storytime: 10:30 to 11 p.m. Community Room, Darien Library.—library announcement
- Kids Summer Reading 2012: "Welcome to summer! June 11 will be the first day that kids can sign up to participate in our Summer Reading Clubs or register for special Summer Reading programs. After registering online, kids can come in to the Library to pick up their Captain's Log to track their reading. Stay tuned for more details!"—from the Darien Library announcement
- TUESDAY: Improv 4 Kids: 4 to 5 p.m. Community Room, Darien Library. "Get a taste of the comedy arts in this engaging and interactive program. Performers from New York City will visit the Library to entertain kids of all ages. Grades K to 5."—library announcement
- Movie Mondays: 3 to 4 p.m. "This is a reoccurring weekly event for teens. Stop by to watch your favorite movies in the Teen Lounge and eat delicious snacks."—library announcement
- Virtual Teen Art Show: "All summer long, you can submit your artwork to share with teens from around New England. What makes this opportunity so unique is that you'll be able to check out what teens your age are inspired by and vice versa. So whatever medium you prefer--painting, sculpture, photography, charcoal, comic strips--start thinking about what you'd like to display on our virtual art gallery!"—from the Darien Library announcement
- Teen Summer Reading 2012: "Come to the Teen Lounge to get your copy of the Teen Summer Reading Program for 2012! We've got tons of special events this year that you won't want to miss. There are so many we couldn't fit them all here so make sure to get a copy of the program to see all the awesome details."—from the Darien Library announcement
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: 5 and 7:30 p.m. PG (1 hr., 25 mins.)—IMDb—trailer—another trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- Snow White and the Huntsman: 5:30 and 8 p.m. PG-13 (2 hrs., 7 mins.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
FORECAST as of 7:23 p.m. Sunday (update)
- Monday: "Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 69. Southeast wind between 5 and 9 mph."
- Monday Night: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. South wind between 5 and 9 mph."
- Tide information
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- Special Education Committee of the Board of Education, 7:45 a.m., Board Meeting Room, Darien Public Schools offices, Town Hall (PDF of agenda)
- Board of Selectmen, 7:45 p.m., Room 206 (PDF of agenda)
- Finance & Budget Committee of the Representative Town Meeting, 7:30 p.m., Room 119 (PDF of agenda)
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service.