Today is Thursday, July 7, the 188th day of 2011. Keep an umbrella handy.
- Stories by the Pond: Join the and the for a storytelling program in from 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Good for all ages; the rain date is July 8.
- Toy Helicopter Battle: Battle with toy helicopters in a race around the library from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- 5 Ingredient Fix: Need an easy solution for summertime meals? Join demo specialist Melissa at Whole Foods (150 Ledge Road) from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. . The event is free; look for the "5 Ingredient Fix" logo around the store to pick up that week's items.
- Missing Dog: A Darien family , their missing black Labrador Retriever.
- Get Puzzled: Help the library solve the world's largest jigsaw puzzle in record time for a chance to be entered into the Guinness Book of World Records.
- None scheduled
- Thursday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds. Mostly sunny, with a high near 87. West wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Thursday night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. North wind around 6 mph becoming east. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
TIDES & TIMES
- 4:16 a.m.: High tide (7.6')
- 5:28 a.m.: Sunrise
- 10:41 a.m.: Low tide (-0.03')
- 4:44 p.m.: High tide (8.19')
- 8:28 p.m.: Sunset
- 11:20 p.m.: Low tide (0.22')
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1863: The U.S. begins its first military draft; exemptions cost $300.
- 1928: Sliced bread is sold for the first time by the Chillicothe Baking Company of Chillicothe, Missouri.
- 1954: Elvis Presley makes his radio debut when WHBQ Memphis plays his first recording for Sun Records, "That's All Right."
- 2005: A series of four explosions occurs on London's transport system, killing 56 people and injuring over 700 others.