Today is Thursday, Nov. 10, the 314th day of 2011.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Espresso Book Machine: Daily through Nov. 15, the will offer a sneak peak of its new Espresso Book Machine at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. The machine is able to print copies of books that aren't available from the library in a matter of minutes.
- Perceptions of Light: From now until Nov. 30, the (576 Post Rd.) is hosting “Perceptions of Light," an exhibit featuring landscapes and seascapes by Leonard Mizerek. Admission is free; the gallery is open Wednesday to Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Fashion Transformed: From now until Jan. 27, the hosts ." The exhibit features 17 costumes from the era. The center is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- None scheduled
- Thursday: A chance of rain, mainly after 9 a.m. Areas of fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 64. North wind between 3 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
- Thursday night: A chance of rain, mainly before 5 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. North wind between 10 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 4:36 a.m. (0.6')
- Sunrise: 6:35 a.m.
- High tide: 10:39 a.m. (7.7')
- Sunset: 4:40 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:11 p.m. (0.1')
- High tide: 11:10 p.m. (6.9')
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1775: The United States Marine Corps is founded at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia by Samuel Nicholas.
- 1898: Beginning of the Wilmington Insurrection of 1898, the only instance of a municipal government being overthrown in US history.
- 1958: The Hope Diamond is donated to the Smithsonian Institution by New York diamond merchant Harry Winston
- 1972: Southern Airways Flight 49 from Birmingham, Alabama is hijacked and, at one point, is threatened with crashing into the nuclear installation at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- 1975: The 729-foot-long freighter SS Edmund Fitzgerald sinks during a storm on Lake Superior, killing all 29 crew on board.
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point); 'Today in History' items compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.