Today is Friday, Nov. 11, the 315th day of 2011.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Veterans Day ceremony: At 11 a.m., Jeff Calcott, junior commander of Darien VFW Post 6933, will lead a Veterans Day observance at the Veterans' Circle. The event will be taped by and broadcast to Darien Public Schools.
- The Case of the Curious Condiment: Tonight and Saturday night at 8 p.m., the Darien Players at the . The play is described as "a mixture of surprise, laughter, and parody" and "a combination of Oscar Wilde and Agatha Christie, mixed with elements of classic British comedies such as Monty Python’s Flying Circus and Blackadder." for ticket information.
- Espresso Book Machine: Daily through Nov. 15, the will offer a sneak peak of its new Espresso Book Machine at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. The machine is able to print copies of books that aren't available from the library in a matter of minutes.
- Barney's Vision: At 7:30 p.m., the library hosts a free screening of Barney's Vision, part of its Friday Night Film Series. The 2010 film stars Paul Giamatti, Rosamund Pike, and Jake Hoffman.
- Perceptions of Light: From now until Nov. 30, the (576 Post Rd.) is hosting “Perceptions of Light," an exhibit featuring landscapes and seascapes by Leonard Mizerek. Admission is free; the gallery is open Wednesday to Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Fashion Transformed: From now until Jan. 27, the hosts ." The exhibit features 17 costumes from the era. The center is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Jack and Jill: 7:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m. (1 hr. 31 min.)
- Puss in Boots: 7:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m. (1 hr. 30 min.)
- None scheduled
- Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 53. Windy, with a west wind between 23 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
- Friday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 35. West wind between 8 and 17 mph.
TIDES & TIMES
- Low tide: 5:13 a.m. (0.6')
- Sunrise: 6:36 a.m.
- High tide: 11:16 a.m. (7.6')
- Sunset: 4:39 p.m.
- Low tide: 5:48 p.m. (0.1')
- High tide: 11:49 p.m. (6.9')
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1215: The Fourth Lateran Council meets, defining the doctrine of transubstantiation, the process by which bread and wine are said to transform into the body and blood of Christ.
- 1675: Gottfried Leibniz demonstrates integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the graph of y = ƒ(x).
- 1864: American Civil War: Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins burning Atlanta, Georgia to the ground in preparation for his march south.
- 1918: World War I: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car in the forest of Compiègne, France. The fighting officially ends at 11:00 a.m.
- 1999: The House of Lords Act is given Royal Assent, restricting membership of the British House of Lords by virtue of a hereditary peerage.
- 2008: The RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) sets sail on her final voyage to Dubai.
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point); 'Today in History' items compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.