Today is Tuesday, Nov. 15, the 319th day of 2011.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Fall book discussion: The 's Fall Book Discussion Series concludes at 7 p.m. with Ellen Feldman's Next to Love.
- Short Stories for Short Days: Carroll Stenson leads a weekly discussion on short stories at the library from 3 to 4 p.m. Copies of the stories are available for pickup at the Welcome Desk during the week prior to each meeting.
- Linda George paintings: From now until Nov. 9, by Linda George will be on display in the library's Art Gallery.
- Fashion Transformed: From now until Jan. 27, the y hosts ." The exhibit features 17 costumes from the era. The center is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Board of Finance: 7:30 p.m., room 119 [agenda]
- Planning and Zoning Commission: 8:00 p.m., room 206 [agenda]
- Tuesday: Scattered showers, mainly between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 64. West wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Tuesday night: Rain likely, mainly after 4 a.m. Cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind at 6 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 1:50 a.m. (6.7')
- Sunrise: 6:41 a.m.
- Low tide: 7:56 a.m. (0.9')
- High tide: 1:55 p.m. (7.2')
- Sunset: 4:35 p.m.
- Low tide: 8:34 p.m. (0.3')
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1777: American Revolutionary War: After 16 months of debate the Continental Congress approves the Articles of Confederation.
- 1920: First assembly of the League of Nations is held in Geneva.
- 1926: The NBC radio network opens with 24 stations.
- 1939: In Washington, D.C., US President Franklin D. Roosevelt lays the cornerstone of the Jefferson Memorial.
- 1969: In Columbus, Ohio, Dave Thomas opens the first Wendy's restaurant.
- 1985: A research assistant is injured when a package from the Unabomber addressed to a University of Michigan professor explodes
- 1988: An independent State of Palestine is proclaimed by the Palestinian National Council.
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point); 'Today in History' items compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.