First Selectman Jayme Stevenson this evening released the following recorded announcement over the town's reverse-911 "Code Red" telephone message system:
Storm Sandy is officially over. A flood advisory remains in effect through midnight tonight. The weather is forecast to be mild for the next four days which will be a benefit to our recovery efforts.
While the effects of Hurricane Sandy have been devastating to land and property here in Darien, I am very relieved to report that we’ve had no injuries or loss of life due to the storm.
Eighty-eight percent of Darien is without power. CL&P and the Darien [Department of] Public Works are in the damage assessment and recovery phase of our disaster response. There are 10 utility crews in town for recovery and two of those will begin the restoration phase this evening. Crews will continue restoration efforts tomorrow morning. Please remember that power restoration is systematic and takes time.
Please remember that we have an extraordinary amount of roads that are closed or impassable. Roads are extremely unsafe at this time and we urge you and your children to stay away from downed trees and power lines. If you must drive through town, use extreme caution, watch for pedestrians and stop at all intersections where power is out to the traffic signals.
Sewer systems are fully operational and the public water supply is safe.
Here are several important community announcements:
- Darien Public Schools are closed for Wednesday, Oct. 31. Decisions to extend closures will be made on a daily basis.
- The emergency shelter is open this evening at the Darien High School.
- Town Hall will be open tomorrow as scheduled.
- The Transfer Station [the town dump] will stay open until 5 p.m. through Saturday.
- Anyone who has temporarily relocated their vehicles or boats to school parking lots, please remove them when you are able in preparation for school to reopen.
- Halloween is officially rescheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 7.
Please stay safe and patient as we work to clear roads and restore power.