Are you ready for some football? How about two dozen adorable strawberry footballs? You will love how fast and simple they are to make. Chocolate-dipped strawberries are the ultimate temptation, with large, ripe fresh strawberries that are hand dipped in decadent chocolate.
Sunday, February 3rd is the NFL Super Bowl 2013. If you are having a party like most or attending one...you can make these and they will be a huge hit! You can even make them for your child's sports "themed" birthday party.
Here is the easy recipe I recently made for a football get together with family.
- 24 large fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces milk chocolate candy coating or milk chocolate
- 1/4 cup white candy coating or white chocolate chips
1. Prepare a baking sheet and line it with waxed paper.
2. Wash the strawberries and pat them dry. Make sure they are completely dry and do not have any wet patches, otherwise you'll have trouble dipping them.
3. Melt the chocolate candy coating in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds until it is smooth and fluid. If you are using chopped chocolate, you should either temper it, or be prepared to keep your strawberries in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them. Chocolate that is melted but not tempered can get soft and streaky at room temperature, so it should always be kept refrigerated.
4. Hold a strawberry by the stem and dip it in the chocolate until it is almost entirely covered. Then hold it over the bowl and let the excess drip back into the bowl. Place the strawberry on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Repeat the process until all of the strawberries are covered with chocolate. Refrigerate the tray until the chocolate is set, for about 15 minutes.
6. While you're waiting for the chocolate to harden, melt the white chocolate. Pour it into a plastic baggie with a small hole cut in the corner.
7. Draw a white chocolate line around the top and bottom of a strawberry, then add the white "laces" in the middle to make it look like a football. Repeat until all of the strawberries are decorated. Let the white chocolate harden completely.
8. Strawberry footballs are best eaten the day they are made.
Darien resident Janine Vairo is the founder of PartyStyle Box. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and at www.partystylebox.com.