Nothing says Summer more than Key lime and citrus. Ever since I had my first slice of Key lime pie a few years ago, I can’t seem to get enough...especially in the Summer.
The Key lime is 2.5–5 cm in diameter (1–2 in), is yellow when ripe but usually picked green. It is smaller, seedier, has a higher acidity, a stronger aroma, and a thinner rind than that of a regular lime. It is valued for its unique flavor compared to other limes, with the Key lime usually having a more tart and bitter flavor. The name comes from its association with the Florida Keys, where it is best known as the flavoring ingredient in Key lime pie. With a thick graham cracker crust and a rich, heavy custard, Key lime pie is topped off with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a shower of lime zest. It is a perfectly balanced pie where the tart lime flavor really tastes great.
There are so many sweet and tangy treats that you can make from this lovely little fruit: Key lime pie, pound cake, cookies, taffy, sorbet, cheesecake and for all your fun Summer parties don't forget to serve Key lime martinis, margaritas and daiquiris!
If you’re anything like me and currently experiencing a love for all things Key lime, here is a delicious cupcake recipe that is fun to make and serve at your next Summer party!
KEY LIME PIE CUPCAKES
1 package lemon cake mix with pudding in the mix
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup key lime juice and lime for garnish
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Combine cake mix, oil, eggs, 1/2 cup key lime juice, water and lime peel in large bowl; whisk 2 minutes. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 19-23 minutes and then let cupcakes cool completely.
- Beat cream in medium bowl with mixer at medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until soft peaks form. Add sugar and remaining 1/4 cup key lime juice; beat at medium speed for 30 seconds or until stiff peaks form. (Do not overbeat or cream will break down.)
- Top each cupcake with dollop of whipped cream. Garnish with lime wedges. Serve immediately.
Makes 24 cupcakes
Darien resident Janine Vairo is the founder of PartyStyle Box. She can be reached at email@example.com. For more information visit www.partystylebox.com.