This Broccolini and Bacon Quiche is just what you need on Sunday morning after a party. It can be made in advance and is easily reheated with barely any effort for guests in the a.m. This was precisely what I wanted this morning.
And if you are like me, you’ll make this quiche twice in one day. Once to accidentally drop while trying to take a picture of your quiche in the sunlight and twice to actually serve to guests on Sunday morning. Actually, I really don’t recommend it.
Basically, I was attempting to move the piping hot pie from the stove top to the table, and well things did not go as I would have liked. The aluminum pan folded in under the weight of the filling and collapsed in my hands, burning me in the process. My daughter announced that I had gotten a couple of strikes in a matter of minutes (read: expletives were flying out of my mouth like a roaring fire). I figured guests wouldn’t believe me that I was starting a new trend if I served them a new and unique Upside Down and Scrambled Quiche so I made it again. I will say that the second time things went very quickly. Sigh.
The key here is to saute and steam the broccolini so it is al dente before chopping it and spreading it out in the bottom of the pan.
Then sprinkle in the cheese and the bacon. I like to just cook my bacon in the microwave for a few minutes on some paper towels. It is much less mess and quick. You can easily substitute turkey bacon here if you want to cut down on the fat. I allowed myself the full fat bacon because it is my birthday weekend.
Next, pour in the egg and milk mixture. When I make quiches, I like to use a mixture of milk and half and half. This way you still get that creamy deliciousness, but it is a little lightened up.
Bake it at 375 for 40 minutes. And easily reheat it at 350 for 15-20 minutes if you make it the day before! But whatever you do, put it on a plate if you decide to move it!
Broccolini and Bacon Quiche
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 bunch broccolini (8 to 10 stalks)
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 4 slices bacon or turkey bacon, chopped
- ½ cup of cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup half and half
- ½ cup milk
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Asiago, Parmesan or both
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in saute pan until sizzling. Add broccolini and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water and cover pan and let steam for 4-5 minutes until broccolini is al dente. Dust with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Move broccolini to plate and let cool. Coarsely chop into bite size pieces.
- Place 4 slices of bacon on two paper towels and cover with a third paper towel. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Let cool and chop.
- Pour broccolini mixture into the bottom of the pie crust, covering the bottom.
- Sprinkle bacon and ½ cup of the cheddar.
- Combine eggs, milk, half and half, nutmeg and salt and pepper and mix with a hand or electric mixer. Pour egg mixture over broccolini.
- Top quiche with shredded Asiago, Parmesan or both.
- Cook at 375 for approximately 40 minutes.
- To reheat, bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Julie du Pont is a Darien resident, mom and lawyer. She blogs about food and entertaining at weekend table.