Grilled shrimp are easy, cook in no time flat and are delicious. This is particularly true when they are marinated well and served atop a glorious bed of veggies that include hearts of palm and avocado. This recipe makes for a perfect lunch, light dinner, or a starter at the end of a summer filled with too many meat heavy BBQs. Serve it with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc, and you'll end up feeling like you ate healthy and enjoyed it!
My husband proclaimed last night that grilled shrimp is one of his favorite foods. Who knew something so easy, quick, yet so tasty would satisfy him? Serve this recipe to your guests any weekend.
Grilled Shrimp with Hearts of Palm Salad
By: Julie du Pont
Prep time: 30 mins; Cook time: 6 mins; Total time: 36 mins.
Serves: 2-3 as a main course and 4-6 as a starter.
- 1 lb large shrimp, cleaned and deveined (optional to leave tails on)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of two squeezed limes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and peppers to taste
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce (or for crisper taste, Hearts of Romaine)
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 can/jar of hearts of palm, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine shrimp with marinade ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add chopped lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, hearts of palm and avocado to a salad bowl.
- Combine the first seven vinaigrette ingredients in a small food processor and blend until everything is very finely chopped. Gradually add the olive oil and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Skewer the shrimp (each end should go through the skewer so they can lie flat) and grill for 2-3 minutes per side until pink all the way through.
- Toss the hearts of palm salad with the vinaigrette and top each serving with grilled shrimp.
Notes: Gluten Free
Julie du Pont is a mom, lawyer and Darien resident who blogs about food and entertaining at weekendtable.com.