I like to show my love through cooking, as I'm not particularly the touchy-feely type. This chicken chili with kale is a sweet ode to my balding hunk of a hubbie. You see, he asked me to cook him some tender chicken thighs with some kick. So this chili is what he got for supper.
It was a rather easy afternoon task. I browned 3/4 inch pieces of chicken thigh meat. Next, I sautéed some onion and jalapeño and garlic, then added in a mix of paprika, cumin, oregano, ancho chili and a pinch of cayenne. A little white wine was then added to this mix and reduced a bit. Then in went some canned tomatoes, some low sodium chicken broth and a can of cannellini beans. I brought this concoction to a simmer, added back in the chicken, and let the slow cooker do its work for several hours. About an hour before serving it, I snuck in a healthy amount of kale :)
I sat a bowlful of this chicken chili with kale topped with brown rice, cheddar cheese, sour cream and cilantro in front of my husband. Before I could bring over the ground pepper to top the chili, it was gone. A second bowl was requested and devoured in short stead. The kids weren't really very interested, but my love note was received and appreciated. It was a good day's work.
Chicken Chili with Kale
Recipe Type: Main
Author: Julie du Pont
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 4 hours 45 mins (2 hours if stove top)
Total time: 5 hours 5 mins
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut in 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp ancho chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- brown rice
- Heat oil in dutch oven or slow cooker with a braise/saute function. Salt and pepper chicken thigh pieces and brown on all sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onion and jalapeño and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add in cumin, oregano, paprika, ancho chili and cayenne. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Add wine and stir. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes until wine is reduced by about 1/3.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and beans. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken [transfer to slow cooker if desired.] Set slow cooker on high for one hour, then reduce to low for 3-4 hours. [Alternatively, you can simmer on the stove-top for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.]
- Half hour to one hour before done, add in chopped kale. Stir occasionally until combined with chili.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with rice, cilantro, sour cream and cheddar cheese (or whatever mix you like!).
Julie du Pont is a Darien resident, mom and lawyer. She blogs about food and entertaining at weekendtable.com