Darien's volunteer fire departments saw little action this week, with smoldering lint being the hot story.
Tuesday, Jan. 5
SMOKE SCARE: All three fire departments responded to a reported smoke scare at a Devon Road residence on Tuesday morning; the culprit: lint in the dryer. Fire officials remind residents to clean the lint filter every time you wash and dry. They say it's a good fire-prevention measure that will also make your tumble dryer more efficient.
Thursday, Jan. 7
FIRE ALARM ACTIVATION: Anyone having tea or golfing at the Wee Burn Country Club on Thursday morning would have heard the fire alarm go off—at least for a short while. The false alarm was canceled in time to escape the fine.
Friday, Jan. 8
FIRE ALARM ACTIVATION: A second false alarm occurred on Friday night at about 10:40 p.m. at Baywater Associates on Old Kings Highway South. The Darien Fire Department responded, and per the town's false alarm ordinance, the malfunction resulted in a $100 fine.