The Superior Court at Stamford was evacuated Thursday morning due to a bomb threat and will remain closed until 2 p.m., according to police. At approximately 12:30 p.m., officers began clearing the scene and Hoyt St. was re-opened, though the courthouse itself remained closed.
Stamford Police Chief Jon Fontneau said a female suspect called in a threat to the courthouse this morning, but no further information was available.
Police officers, bomb-detecting K-9 units and EMS are currently on the scene. Fontneau said state police were assisting with the situation and a sweep of the grounds was currently being conducted. As soon as the scene was cleared, the building would be reopened, he said.
Owners of cars parked in the garage next to the courthouse are currently being prohibited from retrieving their vehicles. Many were upset and complaining to officers on scene. Several stated dogs had been left in vehicles while they ran what they believed would be a quick errand.
This article originally was published by Stamford Patch. Please check with Stamford Patch for more details.