Some of Frankenthaler's paintings were "seen as seminal works in the development of abstract expressionism," Reuters news service reported at the time of her death. Frankenthaler was awarded the National Medal of Arts in 2002.
Her home on Contentment Island Road was sold to a limited liability company -- Kiribilli 2 LLC, located at 490 Hollow Tree Ridge Rd., Darien. The property was sold on Sept. 18 and filed in the Darien Town Clerk's Office on Sept. 24.
The property made Frankenthaler, or her estate, the 33rd biggest taxpayer in Darien, according to the BlockShopper Connecticut website.
These other property transfers also were recently recorded in the Town Clerk's Office:
- 73 Maple St. -- Estate of Leonard Telesco to George Bongiorno and Frank Bongiorno, sold Sept. 16, filed Sept. 24, $499,000
- 145 Nearwater Ln. -- William Kranz and Thomas Kranz to Number 145 NWL LLC of the same address, sold Sept. 19, filed Sept. 25, $1,600,000
- 105 Middlesex Rd. -- Frank Kerr and Catherine Kerr to Alan Christopher and Justine Christopher, sold Sept. 11, filed Sept. 26, $1,435,000 -- PICTURED
- 42 Delafield Island Rd. -- Reilly Builders LLC to Rory Callahan and Amanda Callahan, sold Sept. 19, field Sept. 26, $2,300,000
- 25 Libby Ln. -- Janet Offutt and Wallace Offutt Jr. to Giannattasio Builders Inc. of 6 Saddle Ridge Rd., Darien, sold and filed Sept. 30, $960,000