Darien Public Schools start the 2012-2013 school year on Monday, Aug. 27, and the school year runs through June 12, 2013 if winter weather or some other problem doesn't cause the school year to be extended.
See the PDF attached to this article has the complete calendar.
Students are given breaks from school three times during the year:
- In December (the week of Christmas—Dec. 24-28, but in this case the break is extended with early dismissal on Friday, Dec. 21, and no school on either Dec. 31, 2012 or Jan. 1, 2013, so the break includes 11 full days from Dec. 22 through Jan. 1. Students return to school on Jan. 2
- February break: the week of Feb. 18-22
- April break: the week of April 15-19
On staff development days, there is no school.
Early dismissal and late arrival days:
- Students at all schools are dismissed early on Nov. 21, Dec. 21 and June 12.
- Only for elementary schools, early dismissal will be from Nov. 27 to 30 and on March 6 to 8.
- Only for Darien High School, late arrival days are Sept. 14, Oct. 26, Nov. 16, Feb. 8, April 26 and May 17.
According to the Darien Public Schools calendar PDF, attached to this article, "by State law, after April 1st, Boards of Education are permitted to establish a graduation date. Therefore, the Board of Education will make that determination at its first regular April, 2013 meeting."