Football: Darien will host its annual Blue-White game on Sunday at 5 p.m. after completing spring practice on Saturday.
In the fall, the Blue Wave will begin a defense of its first FCIAC championship since 1998 at home on Sept. 16. against Fairfield Ludlowe.
Darien will play all 10 games this season against FCIAC opponents, culminating with the Turkey Day clash at New Canaan on Nov. 24.
Hockey: Tickets are on sale for the Big Assist III, an exhibition hockey game begun in 2009 by Darien native and Ottawa Senators player Ryan Shannon to the Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation.
All proceeds from the game, which is set for 7 p.m. at the Terry Conners Rink in Stamford, go the OHHF Foundation, which provides support and financial aid to individuals with spinal cord injuries.
Shannon's first junior hockey coach, Obie Harrington-Howes, was paralyzed in an accident at New York's Jones Beach.
Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for students under 18 with family packages (two adults and three kids) available for $75. Tickets can be purchased at The Darien Ice Rink and online at OHHF.org.
The inaugural in 2009 drew 700 at the Darien Ice Rink. Last year, the game was moved to the larger Terry Conners Rink and attracted a crowd of about 1,500.
While this year's roster is still being finalized, a number of NHL players participated in the first two games.
Among those who played last year were Hall of Famer Glen Anderson, Martin St. Louis of the Tampa Bay Lighting, Detroit Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard, Philadelphia Flyers forward James Van Riemsdyk and New York Islanders forward Matt Moulson.
Little League: Below is the remaining playoff schedule for the Darien Little League championships.
- Semifinal Games: Thursday at McGuane (5:45 p.m.)
- Skills Competition: Saturday at McGuane Challenger (12-2 p.m.)
- All Star Game: Saturday at McGuane Upper (4 p.m.)
- Championship Game: Sunday at McGuane Upper (12 p.m.)
- Skills Competition: Saturday at McGuane Upper (2-4 p.m.)
- All Star Games: Saturday at McGuane Upper & Lower (12 p.m./2 Games)
- Championship Game: Sunday at McGuane Lower (12 p.m.)
- Semifinal Games: Wednesday at McGuane (5:45 p.m.)
- Skills Competition: Saturday at McGuane Lower (4-6:30 p.m.)
- Championship Game: Sunday at McGuane Lower (3:30 p.m.
- American Legion Baseball: Darien/NC Sr. vs. Bridgeport Sr., 5:30 p.m., at Seaside 1
AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL STANDINGSTeam Record Points Greenwich Sr 4-1-0 8 Norwalk Sr 4-1-0 8 Stamford Sr 3-2-0 6 Wilton Sr 3-2-0 6 Darien/NC Sr 2-2-0 4 Bridgeport Sr 3-3-0 6 Westport Sr 2-3-0 4 Trumbull Sr 1-3-0 2 Ridgefield Sr 1-3-1 3 Fairfield Sr
1-4-1 3 Team Record Points Trumbull Jr 5-1-0 10 Ridgefield Jr 3-1-0 6 Stamford Jr 4-2-0 8 Darien/NC Jr 3-2-0 6 Norwalk Jr
1-1-0 2 Wilton Jr
2-2-0 4 Westport Jr 2-3-0 4 Fairfield Jr 2-3-0 4 Greenwich Jr 3-5-0 6 Bridgeport Jr 0-5-0 0
The Daily Sports Digest is designed for you to add your best photo and/or video to share (instructions here). If you see anything in our scores, standings, or schedules that requires updating, please e-mail sports editor Bob Birge at email@example.com