So here we are, just days into a fresh, new year, and I can safely bet that several of you are already struggling with your New Year’s resolutions to get fit. And, chances are, that you’ve been here before: filled with good plenty of good intentions, but hitting roadblocks at every turn.
Wonder why? Well you’re likely guilty of one of the habits/mindsets listed below in our Top 5 Reasons your Fitness Resolutions will Fail:
1. Your Goals Lack Specificity: Want to lose weight? Great. Tell me how much and tell me by when. Stating “I want to lose 10 lbs. by February 15th” narrows down your efforts and gives you a deadline. The more specific you can be (think about the who, what, when and where of your goals), the more likely you’ll be to stay on track and succeed.
2. There’s No Accountability: In other words, you MUST enlist some help. Whether it comes in the form of a personal trainer, a workout buddy or even an online community, you will need someone/something to hold you accountable. Share your goals and make sure you’re surrounded by positive reinforcement and support.
3. No Challenge, No Change: You just can’t keep doing the same workout you’ve been doing for years and expect to see continued (yet improved) results. Throw out the window what you used to do to stay fit (I mean, is your body the same as it was 15, 10 or even 5 years ago? I think not). In order to see strides now, you must challenge your body in ways it never has experienced before.
4. You Choose Your Battles: Whether you are looking to lose weight, tone up or increase your energy, the only way you’re going to get there is through a combination of proper diet and exercise. So you can’t sweat for hours each day and still eat pizza at night. Being healthy is a two-way street.
5. You Give Up: It may seem like common sense, but there’s no worse sabotage than mentally throwing in the towel before your body has had the chance to even respond. Accept now that this is going to take time and it’s not going to be easy, but it’s precisely those challenging elements that make achieving your goal that much more of a reward.
We at the Darien Y wish you nothing but luck! Come see us if you find yourself in need of some help.