- The Darien YMCA's Winter Brochure (a PDF file here) is posted on the Y's website with descriptions of classes. According to the Darien Y newsletter: "Registration begins Nov. 5th at 10am for Y members currently enrolled in programs. All Y members who are residents of Darien can register starting Nov. 7 at 10 a.m. and Y members who aren't Darien residents can register starting Nov. 12 at 10am. Non-member registration begins Nov. 14 at 10 a.m."
- "The Darien League of Women Voters and Barrett Bookstore features best selling author Jeff Greenfield on Tuesday, Oct. 29, 7 p.m. at the DCA [Darien Community Association], discussing his new book If Kennedy Lived. Tickets $10, available at Barrett Books, Darien LWV events and at the door. Please RSVP to marthabankslwv.@gmail.com" -- from an announcement on Darien Patch
- "It is a fact that our children will be offered alcohol, tobacco and other drugs, often many times, starting in middle school and continuing through high school. What can you do about this? Learn about substance abuse and gain the knowledge and skills needed to keep your children safe." Attend this three-part series on Wednesday, Oct. 30, at West Rocks Midle School, 81 West Rocks Rd., Norwalk, and on the following two Wednesdays. "The course covers: teen drug use trends and party culture, guidance to help reduce the risk of substance use; how to help your child handle stress; warning signs; what to do if use or abuse is suspected and much more. Parents will also develop improved listening and communication skills [...]" -- from an event listing on Darien Patch.
- "In this lecture, we will follow the course of MoMA's beginnings and history and its alignment with the history of art. In addition to discussing the many great works of art that define MoMA's collection, we will introduce ways in which to frame a discussion of works of art. Molleen Theodore is the Lewis B. and Dorothy Cullman Fellow in the Education Department at the Yale University Art Gallery and a lecturer in the Education Department at the Museum of Modern Art." 7 p.m. in the Community Room, Darien Library -- from an announcement on the Darien Library website
- "Joanna M. Leone, author of "Slices of Life: Italian-American Stories" will be a Guest Speaker at the Stamford Senior Center on Friday, Nov. 1 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. during their Italian Celebration event. Joanna's speech will focus on holiday and travel stories." -- from an announcement on New Canaan Patch
- Buy tickets early: "With over 20 years of professional experience
performing on Broadway, Frank Mastrone brings his talents to the Darien
Arts Center (arts.darien.org) on November 16th at 8PM. Known for his charismatic style, Mastrone weaves music and storytelling bridging his
life on Broadway with his role as a family man in Connecticut. [...] Tickets for his
one night performance on November 16th are $30 per person, $25 for students and seniors.
For more information or to purchase tickets, go to arts.darien.org or call the DAC box
office at (203) 655-5414." -- from an announcement on Darien Patch
* * *
Traveling on I-95? Concerned about traffic? Here are links to the Connnecticut Department of Transportation traffic cams (“SB” means southbound; “NB” means northbound):