and what's going down
in and around
Darien, your town:
- On Monday, the Representative Town Meeting will hear annual "State of the Town" messages from the first selectman, chairperson of the Board of Education, chairman of the Planning and Zoning Commission and chairman of the Board of Finance.
- Darien YMCA registration (from the Darien Y newsletter): "The Winter program session started this Monday, Dec. 2. Registration for Winter programs is still open for both Members and Non-members! [...] Registration is currently taking place for fall/ winter baseball. For details go to www.darienysports.com."
- Carolyn’s Absolutely Fabulous Events is once again bringing a proper British Tea Room to the Darien Community Association on Thursday, Dec 12. [...] Classically British treats will be offered – dainty sandwiches; homemade scones with jam and clotted cream; a selection of holiday cakes and pastries – in a beautiful, airy setting within our beautiful, historic estate. Special diets – gluten free, etc. – can be catered to with advance notice.Seating times are from 11:30 to 1:30pm; the tea ends at 3:00 p.m. This event is just $25, or $20 for DCA members. Reservations are not required, but may be made online [...]" -- from an event listing on Darien Patch.
- "The Darien Community Association (DCA) is delighted to offer “Gifts from the Kitchen” cooking class on Thursday, Dec. 12 at 12:30 p.m. Learn how to make flavored salts, cookie-dough-to-go and other sweet treats that are the perfect way to say “Happy Holidays.” Attendees will take home a few gifts of their own from class. Marcia Selden Catering & Event Planning’s Nicole Straight, past owner of 'Time to Eat!' cooking school, and author of two cookbooks, leads this class." -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- Sachi Parker, daughter of Shirley Maclaine, acts in "Lucky Me," a one-woman play about her bizarre childhood "and the devastating, sometimes hilarious effect it had on her adult
life, her career, her relationships with men, her frustrating attempts
to have a normal relationship with her mother and her entirely
different, loving relationship with her children [...]" at the Theater Artists Workshop in Norwalk, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 13 and 14, at 8, and Sunday, Dec.15, at 3 p.m.
- The Norwalk Community Chorale presents "The Carols of Christmas' concert at Norwalk Concert Hall (in City Hall) on Friday at 7:30 p.m. There is no charge.