The Darien YMCA will open at 9 a.m. Here's the announcement on the Y's website:
"Due to the additional snow in the forecast, the Darien YMCA will open its doors at 9 a.m. (instead of the usual 5 a.m.) on Friday, Feb. 14. YMCA facilities & all adult programs/classes and youth lessons will resume at 9am as scheduled.
"If Darien Public Schools delay their opening, Holly Pond Nursery school will begin at 10 a.m. If Darien Public Schools are closed for the entire day, HPNS will also be closed and there will be no Kids Club.
"Summer camp registration for non-members will begin at 12 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 14. Please check back here or call our voicemail in the morning for any additional updates."
Update 7:54 a.m.:
Flair Fitness is open, but with "a tweaked schedule: Total Body with Martha, 10:15 a.m.; Zumba with Jo, 11 a.m."
Although JoyRide's 6 a.m. class was cancelled, regular classes resume at 8:45 a.m.
Venture Yoga just tweeted: "8:30 [a.m. class] is canceled this morning, but the rest of the day is ON! See you soon!"
Update 7:44 a.m.:
Darien Library is open at 9 a.m. Friday, and Infinity Fitness locations in Darien and New Canaan are open.
The YWCA of Darien Norwalk just tweeted: "The YW is operating on delayed opening today. The office opens @ 9:45am. Toddler Time will begin 9:45am and end at 11:15am. Stay Safe!"
All Darien public schools are on a two-hour delay Friday morning, the school district has announced.
Ice covers streets and walkways, with early morning temperatures below freezing. The National Weather Service expects the temperature to rise to a high of 38 degrees in town.
According to the "Emergency Weather Related Information" Web page (a PDF) on the district website (posted there well before this week):
"[P]arents should continue listening to designated radio and TV stations following the announcement of a delayed opening. If travel conditions do not improve or if they worsen, the delayed opening may be changed to a full day closing. Any such change will be communicated via the media and website sources."
Here's the Darien-specific National Weather Service forecast for the weekend (as of 5:56 a.m.):
- Friday: Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
- Friday night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 26. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
- Saturday: Snow likely, mainly after 9 a.m. Cloudy, with a high near 35. Light northeast wind becoming north 9 to 14 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
- Saturday night: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 15. Northwest wind around 18 mph.
- Sunday: A slight chance of snow after noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 27. West wind 14 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent.
- Sunday night: Mostly cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 8.
- Monday (Washington's Birthday): Increasing clouds, with a high near 31.
- Monday night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent.
- Tuesday: A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent.