This list will be continuously updated, with update times noted. We'll provide Web links when we can get them, so that you can check yourself (again, decisions to open or close may change as conditions change).
As of now, here's what's open, closed or changing hours (updates will appear at the top of the list):
Darien Town Hall will open at 9:30 a.m. Friday, the First Selectman's office announced. (added 6:22 a.m., Friday)
- Storm Hercules cancellations/postponements for FCIAC teams include: boys hockey, Notre Dame-West Haven at Darien (postponed, time to be announced); girls ice hockey, Darien at Trumbull, 7:05 p.m. Thursday; boys indoor track & field and girls indoor track & field: Darien, Wilton, Ridgefield, Warde, St. Joseph, Stamford, Norwalk at Wilton qualifier, 9:30 a.m. Friday; wrestling: Bethel, New Britain, Seymour, Stratford at Darien, 10 a.m., Friday; girls gymnastics: Darien, Staples, Ludlowe at Pomperaug Invitate, 10 a.m., Friday. (added 3:58 p.m., Thursday)
- "Tomorrow [Friday] (1/3/14) all Fairfield University administrative offices will open, and all classes will begin at 10 a.m." says a tweet from the university (added at 3:36 p.m.)
- Darien pickups of Christmas trees by the town Department of Public Works are suspended for Thursday and Friday, and will resume "as soon as we can find them, probably Monday," said Darren J. Oustafine, assistant director of public works, in a brief interview as the DPW prepares to salt and plow the roads. (added 3:13 p.m., Thursday)
- Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk tweets: "Due to the storm, we're canceling Get Into It! FREE, scheduled for 5-8p tonight. [Thursday] However, as of now, we plan to keep the museum open until 5" (added 3:10 p.m., Thursday)
- Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles offices closed at 3 p.m. Thursday, the department announced in an email sent at ... 2:55 p.m. (added 3:07 p.m., Thursday)
- The Depot youth center is closed today and tonight, according to the website's Home page. (added 2:52 p.m.)
- Darien Library will close (early) at 6 p.m. Thursday (added 2:48 p.m., Thursday)
- "[T]he Department of Motor Vehicles is cancelling all road tests for tomorrow (Friday, Jan. 3). The cancellation is due to expected inclement weather and poor road conditions. Anyone with a scheduled road test can call DMV to choose a new date. The numbers to call are 860-263-5700 if someone is within the Hartford area and toll-free 800-842-8222 for those outside the Hartford area. DMV is also attempting to contact customers with road test appointments to advise them of the schedule change." (added 2:36 p.m., Thursday)
- Connecticut government offices are closing early on Thursday, some starting at 3 p.m. (added 2:33 p.m., Thursday)
- University of Connecticut, Stamford: "Due to the inclement weather the UCONN Stamford campus will cancel all classes as of 5 pm today, January 2nd. All classes for tomorrow, January 3rd are cancelled as well. The campus will reopen Saturday, January 4th. Please check the UCONN Stamford emergency communication means (home page, UCONN email, text messaging service and emergency phone line 203.251.8524) for updates to this announcement." (added 2:21 p.m., Thursday)
- Venture Yoga tweets: "Venture is closed for the rest of the day and all Friday morning classes. We will re-open for 6:15pm with Ashly! Stay warm and cozy!" (added 1:47 p.m., Thursday)
- If you're a juror scheduled to appear in a state courthouse on Friday -- don't. That's according to this tweet from the Connecticut Judicial Branch. (added 1:40 p.m., Thursday)
- Access Health CT "enrollment centers will close at 3pm today (1/2/14) and will be closed on Friday Jan. 3, 2014." -- a tweet from the agency (added 1:36 p.m., Thursday)
- The Little Gym in Darien will close Friday, the business announced on Facebook and Twitter. (added 1:30 p.m. Thursday)
- The 4 p.m. Thursday meeting of the Darien Police Commission has been cancelled, according to the meetings list on the town website. (added at 1:27 p.m., Thursday)
- Darien Public Schools are closing early Thursday. Here's the schedule for when particular schools close early in Darien: High School 12:20 p.m. Hindley, Royle, Tokeneke 1:00 p.m. Middlesex 12:30 p.m. Holmes, Ox Ridge 1:25 p.m. The Darien Public Schools website states (in a PDF): "All students will have the same bus stops as they had in the morning. No lunches will be servedat school on those days, but elementary students will have a snack prior to dismissal."
- The Darien Community Association has cancelled it's "Mom's Morning In" 10 a.m. Friday event with "Amazing Andy," and, in fact, the whole DCA will close on Friday.
- The Darien YMCA has announced Thursday morning on Twitter and Facebook: "The Darien Y has cancelled Kids Club & afternoon nursery school. If other programs are cancelled, we will post again later today."
- Darien Library is open (as of 9 a.m. Thursday morning.)