Today is Saturday, March 24, 2012.
- ("You Said It" column)
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- St. Thomas More Church tag sale: 9 a.m. "Early Bird Entry is at 8 a.m. with a $10 donation with numbers being handed out at 7:30 a.m. Children’s clothes, furniture, toys, baby and sports equipment will be for sale with the proceeds benefitting the Norwalk Emergency Shelter, Malta House and Saint Thomas More."—from on Darien Patch
- Lego Club: 2 to 4 p.m., Darien Library
- Book Signing: 3 to 5 p.m., at ,"Maura Carley, President and CEO, Healthcare Navigation, LLC, will sign copies of her new book “Health Insurance: Navigating Traps & Gaps"—from the on Darien Patch
- Potluck Supper: 6 p.m., Darien Library, in connection with the screening of the film "Golden Door" (see just below). " You bring the dish and we’ll provide the beverages and utensils. Celebrate your heritage by bringing food that represents the generations that came before you."—from the library announcement.
- FILM: Golden Door: 7:30 p.m., Darien Library (follows the potluck supper, see just above), Rated PG-13 (2 hrs.), In Italian and English with English subtitles (2007)"In the early 1900s, a poor Sicilian family leaves Italy in search of a better life in America. Before leaving, they meet a mysterious woman named Lucy, a Brit who wants to marry someone before they hit the opposite shore. The tough and sometimes cruel practices of Ellis Island are also explored in this sensitive drama. Starring Charlotte Gainsbourg, Vincenzo Amato, Francesco Casisa, and Andrea Prodan."—from the library announcemen
- LAST PERFORMANCE: Play: : 8 p.m. tonight, Darien High School auditorium. Theatre 308 (tickets available as early as one hour before showtime at the door; or seat yourself online)
- LAST PERFORMANCE: Play: "Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean": 8 p.m. Darien Arts Center. $25 for adults; $20 for seniors and students. "In a small town dime store in West Texas, the "Disciples of James Dean" gather for their twentieth reunion. Now middle-aged women, they were teenagers when Dean filmed Giant two decades ago in nearby Marfa. One of them, an extra in the film, has a child whom she says was conceived with Dean during the shoot."—from the on Darien Patch
- : 8 p.m., Bridgeport Theatre Company, 263 Golden Hill Road, Bridgeport, $23. “It’s September 1934, and the Cleveland Grand Opera Company has invited the world famous tenor Tito Morelli to perform Othello, his greatest role, at the gala season opener.”
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- The Lorax: 7 and 9 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr. 26 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Hunger Games: 12:01 a.m., PG-13 (2 hr. 22 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
FORECAST as of 9:36 p.m. Friday (update)
- Saturday: "A chance of showers, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. East wind around 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent."
- Saturday Night: "Showers likely, mainly after 7 p.m. Cloudy, with a low around 46. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
TIDES & TIMES
- Sunrise: 6:49 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:10 p.m.
- High tide: 1:02 p.m. (7.8')
- Low tide: 7:29 a.m. (-0.2')
- High tide: 1:29 a.m. (7.1')
- Low tide: 7:36 a.m. (0.2')
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).