Today is a windy Monday, March 26, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- DivorceCare: Refreshments in the Noroton Presbyterian Church Parlor at 7:15 p.m.; program from 7:30 to 9 p.m. $15 for workbook. DivorceCare is "a confidential weekly seminar for people who are separated or divorced. It is a safe environment for learning valuable information about healing from the hurt of divorce. [...] The format is set up for participants to join at any time."— on Darien Patch
- TUESDAY: Lecture on the U.S. Government budget by a former comptroller of the currency: 7 p.m., free, Darien Library. "America is at a critical crossroads and the choices that our elected officials make in connection with the role of government and its finances over the next five years will largely determine whether our collective future will be better than our past. Dave Walker will outline the facts and offer a range of sensible solutions [...]"—from on Darien Patch
- TUESDAY: Overeaters Anonymous: Regular meeting, 6 15 p.m., YWCA—from on Darien Patch
- Panel Discussion: Growing Good Kids: 11 a.m., free. Toddler Room, Darien Library. "Parents and caregivers are invited to join us for a resource roundtable, during which Andrea Johnstone of the Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut will discuss Positive Discipline."—from the announcement by the library
- TUESDAY: "Raising Cain" documentary: Free. 10 a.m., Community Room, Darien Library. "This two-hour documentary provides surprising new research about boys' inner workings, dispelling a number of commonly-held misconceptions, and highlights innovative programs that are bringing out the best in boys. (120 minutes)." In association with a lecture by Raising Cain's author, Michael Thompson on Monday, April 2, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Darien High School Auditorium (registration required)—from the Darien Library announcement
- WEDNESAY: Lecture: Tweens to Teens—Connect with the Alien at Your Dinner Table: Free, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Southfield Center for Development, 85 Old Kings Hwy N. "Effective communication with parents and caregivers is a critical component to a young adult's happiness and self-esteem. Dr. Lauren Pote will share parenting strategies [...]"—from on Darien Patch
- THURSDAY: Pear Tree Point School Open House: "will host an Open House for interested parents on Thursday March 29 at 9 a.m. at 90 Pear Tree Point Rd., Darien. RSVP 203-655-0030."—from the on Darien Patch
- Storytelling Yoga: 1 p.m. Stepping Stones Museum for Children. "Parents and children together enjoy a short story while participating in yoga-based movement in the Performance Gallery."—the museum's anouncement
- IMAX Movies: Now showing in the Maritime Aquarium's IMAX theater: Noon. - "Born to be Wild"; "Search for Great Sharks" at 1 and 3 p.m., and "Sea Rex" at 3 p.m. Each IMAX movie lasts for about 40 minutes. More information here.
- Ceramic Studio: 3:30 p.m. Stepping Stones Museum for Children in Norwalk. Ages 3 and up "Learn the basics and create your own masterpiece. Space is limited. $5 per child, museum admission required. Visit the Welcome Desk for details."—the museum's anouncement
- Darien High School schedule: "H" Day. Periods: 1 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 4 | 6 | 7
- Movie Mondays: 3 p.m., free. Darien Library. "Stop by the Teen Lounge at 3PM to watch a movie enjoy snacks!"—library announcement
- Eat Through Orchestra Fundraiser: "Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Darien has arranged a special "Give Back Night" to support the DHS Orchestra's upcoming trip to Disney's Magic Music Days. On Monday, March 26 from 5 pm to closing, 20% of your check (pre-tax) will be donated to the Orchestra. If you have any questions, please contact Jane Minnis at 203-655-3981, ext. 2287 or JMinnis@darienps.org."—announcement on high school website
- "Interested in being a part of the DHS-China Exchange next year? Applications are now available. Submit completed applications by April 4th. Contact Mrs. Armiger with questions."—Darien High School website
- Darien Depot March Calendar
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- The Lorax: 7 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr. 26 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Hunger Games: 7 p.m., PG-13 (2 hr. 22 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- Board of Selectmen, 7:45 p.m., Room 206 (agenda PDF)
FORECAST as of 10:50 p.m. Sunday (update)
- Monday: "Sunny, with a high near 52. Windy, with a north wind 17 to 20 mph increasing to between 27 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph."
- Monday Night: "Clear, with a low around 29. Blustery, with a north wind between 18 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
TIDES & TIMES
- Sunrise: 6:46 a.m.
- Sunset: 7:13 p.m.
- High tide: 2:15 a.m. (7.5')
- Low tide: 8:44 a.m. (0.1')
- High tide: 2:46 a.m. (6.7')
- Low tide: 8:51 a.m. (0.6')
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).