Congratulations to the YWCA Race Against Racism first-place winners: Kristen Oddi (for women) and Tom Holland (for men). For more winners of the race in various categories, see the YWCA website.
Long Video of the Day: Susan Cain, author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, speaking at Darien Library last week. (46 mins.)
Today is Monday, April 30, 2012.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Talk on Walt Whitman's 'Song of Myself': 7 p.m., Darien Library. "Mark J. Schenker, Dean of Academic Affairs in Yale College, will give a talk on Walt Whitman’s poem Song of Myself"—from the library announcement. Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?/Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?/Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems[...]
- Darien 4th of July Fireworks t-shirt contest: "Submit your artwork and the winner’s designs will serve as Darien’s official 4th of July Fireworks T-shirt! Hurry soon and fill out the information below, the contest will close May 15."—from on Darien Patch
- Crazy for Quilts ~ Scrapbooks in Silk and Satin: "Elegant, silk crazy quilts from the collection of the Darien Historical Society."—from on Darien Patch
- Buy tickets for the Library Spring Gala: $130. Saturday, May 12, at 6:30 p.m. "Join us at Light Up the Library at the Imagination Gala! We will have cocktails, Hors D'oeuvres, entertainment, silent art auction and a live auction. Funds that are raised will be used for Library materials (all books, movies, computers, magazines, books on cd, information resources, and programs are paid for by private donations)."—library announcement
- Methodist Family Center Preschool Camp: "MFCP is offering camp for preschool children starting May 29 and ending June 29"—from on Darien Patch
- New Methodist Family Center Preschool program for 4-year-olds: "MFCP is offering the new Navigators program to students enrolled in the four-year-old classes this fall."—from on Darien Patch.
- YWCA Toddler Time and Summer Fun Registration for 2012-2013
- at the Darien Nature Center
- Tuesday Night BMX Racing: Trumbull Racing And Cycling Kids, Indian Ledge Park Road, Trumbull. "Practice from 5 to 6:45 p.m. Racing starts at 7 p.m. "If you can ride a bicycle, we have a racing class for you! Riders race against other riders of the same age and ability."—from on Darien Patch
- IMAX movies at the Maritime Aquarium: 10 North Water St., Norwalk. FRIDAY: Living Seas (11 a.m.), Born to Be Wild (noon), To the Arctic (1 and 5 p.m.), Sea Rex (2 and 4 p.m.). "11 a.m. movies sometimes change to accommodate school children." The schedule changes on weekends.—from an aquarium Web page
- Darien High School schedule: "B" Day. Order of periods: 3 | 4 | 1 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 5
- Movie Mondays: 3 p.m. Darien Library. "Stop by the Teen Lounge at 3 p.m. to watch a movie enjoy snacks!"—from the library announcement
- Theatre 308 auditions: "Auditions for Theatre 308s student productions will be Monday and Tuesday after school in the Little Theatre - all are welcome!"—announcement on the Darien High School website
- Seniors: Get your head shots to Neirad: "[T]he Neirad staff invites you to send a photograph of yourself (headshot) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday May 4 for the Neirad graduation issue!! Include in the subject of the email your full name and plans for next year."—announcement on the Darien High School website
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- The Three Stooges: 7:30 and 9:30 p.m., PG (1 hr., 46 min.)—IMDb—trailer—even stupider trailer—something else—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Lucky One: 7 and 9:15 p.m., PG-13 (1 hr., 41 min.)—IMDb—trailer—Rotten Tomatoes
All meetings take place in , 2 Renshaw Rd., unless otherwise noted. Since Darien town government provides no reliable, centralized list of town government meetings, and there is not enough time in the day to go searching for them, this list may well be incomplete:
- Public Works Standing Committee of the Representative Town Meeting, 8 p.m., Room 213 (PDF of agenda)
- Education Committee of the Representative Town Meeting 8 p.m., Room 119 (PDF of agenda)
FORECAST as of 7:27 p.m. Monday (update)
- Monday: "Sunny, with a high near 61. East wind 6 to 10 mph becoming south."
- Monday Night: "Showers, mainly after midnight. Low around 47. South wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80 percent. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible."
DARIEN GOVERNMENT ACCESS TELEVISION - TV79
Airing this week…
- Board of Selectmen 4-24 ( runs 1:06 ) AGENDA
- Airs: 2:07 AM, 8:15 AM, 2:22 PM & Prime Time
- RTM Rules Comm. 4-24 (runs :55 ) AGENDA
- Airs: 4:04 AM, 10:12 AM & Prime Time
- Planning & Zoning Comm. 4-24 ( runs 3:15 ) AGENDA
- Airs 5 AM, 11:07 AM, 4 PM, 10:52 PM
- Darien Housing Authority 4-24 ( runs :30 ) AGENDA
- Airs 3:34 AM, 9:42 AM, 3:28 PM, 7:15 PM & PT
- Bd of Ed / Mather / Shuffle 4-24 ( runs :21 )
- Airs 3:13 AM, 9:21 AM & Prime Time
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
See also Darien Patch's "Traffic & Gas Prices" page.
HOW TO USE PATCH:
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point).
Correction: Originally this article stated that the date is Monday, April 29, when in fact it's Monday, April 30.