Today is Wednesday, Nov. 16, the 320th day of 2011.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Farmers market: The Darien Farmers Market is open for business from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the municipal parking lot off of Mechanic Street (across from Goodwives Shopping Center).
- Casablanca: At 1:30 p.m., the Darien Library hosts a screening of the 1942 classic Casablanca. The film stars Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.
- Meet Us on Main Street: At 11 a.m., join library staff for "Meet Us on Main Street" to share what you're reading (and watching).
- Linda George paintings: From now until Nov. 9, by Linda George will be on display in the library's Art Gallery.
- Fashion Transformed: From now until Jan. 27, the y hosts ." The exhibit features 17 costumes from the era. The center is open Tuesday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Commission on Again: 9:00 a.m., room 119 [agenda]
- Zoning Board of Appeals: 7:45 p.m., room 206 [agenda]
- Wednesday: Rain. High near 61. South wind at 6 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Wednesday Night: Rain likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 46. North wind between 7 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 2:36 a.m. (6.6')
- Sunrise: 6:42 a.m.
- Low tide: 8:46 a.m. (0.9')
- High tide: 2:45 p.m. (7.1')
- Sunset: 4:34 p.m.
- Low tide: 9:24 p.m. (0.4')
TODAY IN HISTORY
- 1849: A Russian court sentences Fyodor Dostoevsky to death for anti-government activities linked to a radical intellectual group; his sentence is later commuted to hard labor.
- 1914: The Federal Reserve Bank of the United States officially opens.
- 1938: LSD is first synthesized by Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann at the Sandoz Laboratories in Basel, Switzerland.
- 1940: In occupied Poland, the Nazis close off the Warsaw Ghetto from the outside world.
- 1945: UNESCO is founded.
- 1973: President Richard Nixon signs the Trans-Alaska Pipeline Authorization Act into law, authorizing the construction of the Alaska Pipeline.
- 2000: Bill Clinton becomes the first U.S. President to visit Vietnam since the end of the Vietnam War.
Forecast obtained from the National Weather Service; tide information obtained from saltwatertides.com (calibrated to Long Neck Point); 'Today in History' items compiled from Wikipedia and other sources.