Today is Monday, Nov. 21, the 325th day of 2011, three days before Thanksgiving and 34 days before Christmas.
If you see Thomas Wilcock today, congratulate him on being nominated by U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal to the U.S. Naval Academy.
EVENTS & REMINDERS
- Growing Good Kids discussion: 11 a.m. at the Darien Library. "Difficult Behavior" is this month's roundtable discussion topic for caregivers. It's facilitated by Andrea Johnstone from Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut.
- The Tree Conservancy of Darien will plant trees today Ten trees will be planted at Exit 13 and another near Exit 11.
- Cookbook authors talk at the Darien Library: Former New York Times food columnist Amanda Hesser and her Food52.com co-founder Merrill Stubbs will talk about their new cookbook, FOOD 52 at 7 p.m. in the Darien Library.
- Schedule of periods for today (an "A Day") will be: 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
- Senior portraits are being taken Monday and Tuesday for those who don't already have them in.
- Bring a Turkey to School on Tuesday morning, Nov. 22: "[H]elp fill the the Food Bank of Lower Fairfield County's shelves. The DHS Band will be at school, curbside, to take the turkey from your car and in exchange you will receive an 'I brought a turkey to school" sticker.'"— from an announcement on the Darien High School homepage
- Darien Library Teen Lounge: Monday movie (we have no information on what movie it is), 3 p.m.
DARIEN PLAYHOUSE SHOWTIMES
- Jack and Jill: 7 p.m. (1 hr. 31 min.) — IMDb—trailer—website—Rotten Tomatoes
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1: 7 p.m. (1 hr. 57 min.)—IMDb—trailer—website—Rotten Tomatoes
- Board of Selectmen special meeting, 8 p.m.: The board will set a date for the referendum on the Shuffle proposal and approve other technical details for running the referendum. (Agenda PDF)
FORECAST (as of 6:20 a.m.)
- Today: "A slight chance of showers between 1pm and 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Northeast wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%."
- Tonight: "Mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. East wind around 6 mph."
Forecast for the holiday:
- Hazarous Weather Outlook issued: "There is potential for a significant storm with heavy precipitation, strong winds and even coastal flooding Tuesday night into Thursday," according to the National Weather Service, which issued the "outlook" report for all of coastal Connecticut and the New York metropolitan region. "The Wednesday morning high tide cycle in particular is shaping up to the most vulnerable. There is still some uncertainty with the specifics of the system at this time so monitor subsequent NWS [National Weather Service] forecasts for the latest."
- Thanksgiving Eve: "A chance of showers, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 30%."
- Thanksgiving Day: "Mostly sunny, with a high near 50."
- Thursday Overnight to Friday: "Mostly clear, with a low around 38."
- Friday: "Sunny, with a high near 56."
INTERSTATE 95 TRAFFIC CAMS
TIDES & TIMES
- High tide: 4:21 a.m. (6.8')
- Sunrise: 6:45 a.m.
- Low tide: 10:42 a.m. (0.8)
- High tide: 4:40 p.m. (6.9')
- Sunset: 4:33 p.m.
- Low tide: 11:13 p.m. (0.4')