- At 4 p.m. Friday in the Darien High School gymnasium: "Darien Girls Volleyball takes on Staples of Westport in a game to support the Side Out Foundation and Breast Cancer Awareness, Education and Research. Tickets are $5.00 at the door and games start at 4:00 p.m., 5:30 p.m. and the varsity match at 7:00 p.m. A bake sale will also be held to benefit the Side Out Foundation." -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- Also at 4 p.m. Friday, on the oval turf at Darien High School: The Boys Varsity Soccer team is dedicating Friday's game [...] against longtime rival New Canaan to raise awareness in the fight against metastatic breast cancer -- they'll be wearing pink shoelaces and wrist bands in support of October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The team will host a bake sale during the game. All the proceeds raised from this event will go to funding metastatic breast cancer research at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center honoring Lisa Adams, Darien resident, wife and mom on behalf of the DHS Boys Varsity Soccer Team." -- from another event listing on Darien Patch
- Darien High School Girl's Ice Hockey Team is holding its annual sale "of all kinds of used sports equipment at very cheap prices!" starting at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Darien High School cafeteria. "We have soccer, lacrosse, hockey, track, football, etc equipment: bats, balls, cleats, pads, bags, sticks, racquets, we have it all! We even have bikes, skate boards, skis, and this year we have bowling ball! Come on down and see for yourself!!" -- from an event listing on Darien Patch
- Greenwich Library and BackCountry Jazz have teamed up to present two events to honor the great Billie Holiday. The weekend celebration will kick off with Billie Holiday: Sensational Lady, a special Friends Friday Film presentation at 8 p.m., Oct. 11. This 57-minute film, originally produced by the BBC in 2001, is a highly regarded and authoritative look at the turbulent life of "Lady Day". Click here for information about the movie event. Then, on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 3:30 p.m. the Library and BackCountry Jazz will present Billie Holiday: a Celebration, a concert with an all-star ensemble performing the music of Billie Holiday.
- Held rain or shine on the grounds of the Bruce Museum, just off Exit 3 of I-95. The Outdoor Arts Festival at the Bruce Museum in Greenwich a juried event, which starts at 10 a.m. Saturday, features more than 85 artists selected from across the country. Paintings, photography, drawings, prints, sculptures, and mixed media pieces are all available for purchase. The festival also includes live music on both days as well as fun, educational family activities, and a variety of food choices.
- A new exhibit just opened at the Greenwich Historical Society: "The New Spirit and the Cos Cob Art Colony: Before and After the Armory Show," which for the first time shows the direct impact of the Armory Show on the Cos Cob art colony artists. There are 40 works of art by 12 Cos Cob artists — including Hassam, Weir and Twachtman — with several works that were shown in the 1913 Armory Show. The exhibit will be on view Wednesdays through Sundays, through Jan. 12.
* * *
Traveling on I-95? Concerned about traffic? Here are links to the Connnecticut Department of Transportation traffic cams (“SB” means southbound; “NB” means northbound):